Question about hooking up on screen display....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vincent_S, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

OK, I don't know what happened but I'll try again: I am trying to hook up the on screen display from my receiver(Sony da2es) via an rca cable to my TV but since I am using component cables on that input(for my DVD), the OSD does not display. It works fine if I hook it into an input that is not being used but I don't want to have to switch inputs to be see the OSD[​IMG]. Is there a way around this or am I doing something wrong?[​IMG]

2. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Your receiver manual probably says something about this, but given that the Sony avr you have is not some obscenely priced flagship, chances are that your OSD won't output to the receiver's component outs.

Sounds like you need to connect a composite (or *maybe*, alternatively, s-video) cable from your AVR's monitor out. BTW, don't pass your component signal thru your AVR unless absolutely necessary (ie, you are working with multiple component sources).

3. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have the DVD player hooked directly to the TV, not thru the receiver, but since I am using the component video cables the OSD won't work when hooked up via an RCA jack to the "regular" video input(for lack of a better word).

4. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Vincent, since I don't know what your T.V. is, I'll have to make a "guesstimate" on what you could do...

1) Make sure the component cables and "regular video" cables are connected to different inputs (input 1 & 2, for example) Some t.v.s tend to "default" to one or the other if both are plugged in.

***Oops, I see you've already figured this out (I reread your post.) If #3 doesn't work, then you will have to switch inputs for the OSD (though you really wouldn't use it very often, anyways.)

2) Run the "regular video" cable through the receiver to the tv. You will need to have the receiver on for the OSD (although, again, the component video could "trump" the regular video.)

3) Try cycling the video modes. Sometimes you can switch between multiple video types for the same input. However, yhis can be a hassle to go through each time you watch a movie.