Question about hooking up a PS2 to a reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_Su, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

I have a PS2 with a monster S-Video/rca audio cable connecting it to the TV. The video and audio cables are connected together. Now I want to take advantage my reciever's digital audio capabilities, so would I plug the monster svideo and audio cables into my tv from my ps2, and connect an optical cable to my reciever from my ps2? Or would i just leave the rca audio cables dangling unplugged (could this affect audio quality?) any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
    mark

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

For True surround sound you will need to connect a optical/coaxial cable from the PS2 to the receiver. And you will leave the audio cables unplugged.

3. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I have both connected, and it works fine for me.

4. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax Agent

PS2 has optical output? If so, yes, connect the optical output to the reciever and the s video to the reciever.

5. Mark_Su

Mark_Su Agent

would there be any loss of quality if i put the s-video and analog sound cables into the tv straight from the PS2 and connect the optical cable between the reciever and PS2? whenever i feel like using the digital sound i'm planning on just turning down the volume all the way on my tv. i'm just planning on doing it this way so i won't have to shell out for another svideo cable. btw, happy new year!

6. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

no problem there