What's new

Question about hooking up a HT to a computer (1 Viewer)

dameeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Alexander
Ok so this is what i want to do. I want to hook up speakers to my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS Platinum.

My question is that I need some advice on what kind of speakers i should get, this is going to be for music and movies. I was looking for just computer speakers but im not that confident anymore that they will give me good quality sound when it comes to movies. I might be wrong but i did some research and it didnt impress me.

Any advice?
thanks

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I have the same card setup as you. I got the Logitech z5300e 5.1 speakers, and think they sound great. They are THX certified, and have a pretty nice sub, that comes with them. I've also heard that a lot of people like the z5500's too. I think these speakers are amazing, to be computer speakers........

I got them at Best Buy, for a little over $200. They usually have some hooked up in the store, but not in a very good way. Best Buy has a good return policy, if you don't like them, after you try them at home.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
What is your budget and what are you trying to achieve.

Some people (such as myself) use a PC/network to drive the HT, so I have a full theater setup (projector, relatively high-end7.1 surround etc) running off my computer. You can run a full HT off a PC-based system, so I'm not sure if that's what you're asking about, or if you just want to add computer speakers to a regular office-type PC system so you can watch movies on your computer. Obviously, the former type of system will provide superior results compared to just computer speakers, but costs thousands more...

dameeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Alexander
yea i was looking at the 5500, but i got scared when i read some reviews that said they wernt that great for movies, which is what i am trying to achieve. movies and music.

Im not looking to spend thousands on a theature system but i am looking to buy a decent home theature speakers if anyone has a helpful hint. I just want something that will be worth spending the money on.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

So...

what is your budget?

And what are you trying to achieve?

I can't help you unless I have some idea about what you're trying to do and what resources you have available to do that...

dameeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Alexander
yaya im trying to achieve high quality sound for movies. I want to hook up my computer to the speakers and tv. My budget is 800.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
For $800 I would probably get an entry-level standalone receiver and a packaged speaker set from somebody like HSU's speaker set which is like $300.

You'd then use digital out from any basic soundcard to connect the PC to the receiver and you'll be good to go.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
yeah i have a pair of atoms with dayton 12" and a cheap old stereo receiver hooked up for computer speakers
sounds cleaner, louder, and overall better than any comp speakers i've ever heard.

dameeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Alexander
ok what do you guys think about this.

Harman Kardon avr 130 reciver
with
Harman Kardon HKT 15 or 18 not sure.

I can get the reciver cheap from my brother and i just figured i would match speakers with the reciever.

PeterK

Supporting Actor
reciever sounds good
not really sure about the speakers...don't feel you have to match them to the receiver though...it really really doesn't matter.
go for a small set of bookshelves like paradigm atoms or jbl E-20s...or whatever the newest version of the jbls ar these days...

dameeser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Alexander
i cant find a store that sells the paradigm Cinema™90 CT speakers. Do you know of any online stores that sells paradigm speakers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks