question about HK decibal levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesL, Apr 14, 2002.

1. JamesL

JamesL Agent

I just upgraded to a HK AVR520 from my AVR65 and I must say the sound is much crisper. The AVR65 is an excellent receiver but I found myself adjusting the volume up and down much more.

My question is this - on the 520 I put the volume level much lower (approx. 10 db) then I did with the AVR65? I'm not an expert but I would have expected it to be the other way around.

Can anyone explain this?

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

James,

Why is that? The 520 is more powerful (85x2, 75x5) than the 65 (75x2, 65x5), 3lbs. heavier (you have to expect a good bit of that to have gone to the amplifier stage). Admittedly, the rated power difference would not normally signify that great a drop in volume setting to achieve equivalent performance on a comparative basis. But I suspect it is due to the general combination of H/K design amplification improvements.

Also, I'm assuming the volume scale is the same -80 to +10 on both.

Or do you mean to say by 'lower' that the (-) number is lower on the 520 to get the same performance as a 'higher' (-) number on the 65?

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

Are you measuring the volume by a sound meter or by the display on the receiver? The display on the receiver means nothing (unless you calibrated it with a sound meter).

So, the 12:00 position on one volume knob isn't necessarily the same as the 12:00 position on another volume knob.

4. JamesL

JamesL Agent

The volume scale is not the same on both units - the AVR520 is -80 to +10 as indicated and the AVR65 is -65 to +10. And YES I am saying that the (-) number is lower on the 520 to get the same "volume level" as a 'higher' (-) number on the 65.

I do have a sound meter but I am just measuring by the volume level (-) on the receiver. So I guess I can conclude that the volume differences mean nothing.