What's new

Question about high definition transfers and the eventual "HD-DVD" (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Most studios these days, to my knowledge, are using high definition transfers for our current DVD format.

Now, does this mean, if and when HD-DVD comes out, they will be able to use the current HD transfers they used for DVD on HD-DVD? So, in essence, we will be getting the same transfers we see now, but with HD resolution?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
You got it. That's not necessarily a bad thing...I think most studios who go through the trouble of producing an HD transfer (Fox's "sound of music" being the exception here) try to do it right knowing that the master they're using isn't just for DVD...but a future investment in an HD-disc or broadcast.
BTW, the really, REALLY, ***REALLY*** cool thing is that future "HD" DVD players could output a 1080 *Progressive* signal from HD discs the same way that we have 480P DVD players today.
Downconverted to 720P for current widescreen digital projectors, or shown full 1080P resolution on CRT or future 1080P capable digital projectors...the results will be simply stunning.
-dave

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I was thinking it would be a good thing too because it would save money on costs since the transfer is already done and would cut down on the wait for the studios to release HD movies when the format is here.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Not being familiar with the process, I've wondered about this - is the dreaded excessive Edge Enhancement that some titles display on DVD added after the HD transfer, or is it a part of the HD transfer itself?

I would hope it's the former since hopefully there would be absolutely no EE on High Def.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
It's usually added pretty late in the game. The first step making a DVD from an HD source is to downscale it to the 720 x 480 resolution in uncompressed form. It's usually after this step the EE is applied right before (or during) the MPEG2 compression.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
But, gentlemen, don't get your hopes up for HD-DVD too soon. The studios are the major obstacle, what with their copy-protection obsessions. Remember, they would have preferred that DVD itself not be launched. They have, in fact, opposed just about every home-video format--until they saw the money-making potential. But high-def? It would be as if everybody could purchase a de facto personal print of one of their products--something the studios wouldn't cotton to.

Expect a long wait for "HD-DVD."

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Well doesn't that annoucement yesterday that *four* of the major studios (Dreamworks, Universal, Fox, and Artisan) want to give us HD on D-VHS sort of indicate that the studios are ready to move forward with pre-recorded HD software?

Why D-VHS and not an optical format?

I hope they don't do blue-laser. I'd rather D-VHS while we wait for FMD.

-dave

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
But, gentlemen, don't get your hopes up for HD-DVD too soon. The studios are the major obstacle, what with their copy-protection obsessions. Remember, they would have preferred that DVD itself not be launched. They have, in fact, opposed just about every home-video format--until they saw the money-making potential. But high-def? It would be as if everybody could purchase a de facto personal print of one of their products--something the studios wouldn't cotton to.

Expect a long wait for "HD-DVD."
Indeed, there is also the situation of the studios likely having the want to see HD reach a broader worldwide market. For instace here in the UK (and elswhere across the globe) HDTV doesnt even exist, nor progressive scan DVD players since nothing here will take 480p other than high end projectors. I'd say this needs to be sorted before anyone considers pushing HD DVD as the next big thing.

Dan (UK)

HankM

Second Unit
But, how many regular consumer's right now have an HDTV set. I'm all for HD-DVD like some of you but J6P really don't care and don't have an HDTV.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Actually

Pre-recorded software is just what the HDTV industry needs to get it going. Forget waiting to watch some silly sit-com on broadcast. Throw in your HD copy of Jurassic Park or True Lies. Now *that's* going to sell some HDTVs.

I'm not too worried about tape-based HD material. It can't hurt anything...if anything it will help sell some HDTVs and gear people up for the eventual HD-DVD format which will have a natural advantage being random access etc.

-dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks