What's new

Question about High Current amps (1 Viewer)

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I was comparing Parasound 1205A with Rotel 1075. While everything else seems to be comparable on spec, the current was quite different. Although they both called theirs "high current" amps, Rotel's high current was 15amps whereas Parasound's high current was 45amps. Even if one being conservative ane the other not, it's 3 times of difference. So,... what that 45amp will bring to me which 15amp cannot? Does it make Parasound a better amp?

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Wellllllll...IMO, advertising/specs that mentions "high current design" and the number of "amps" it can deliver is pretty much hype. Why? Because, like the "Peak Power" spec of many years ago, it is entirely subjective and measured according to the manufacturer's whims. There is no true industry standard when it comes to these 2 terms.

The best you can really do (and be confident of the numbers) is to compare the 8 ohm AND 4 ohm FTC rms power wattage ratings (The FTC rating specifies that the amps must deliver these numbers for one hour continously. Pretty tough!) The better amp will be able to deliver more power inot 4 ohms than 8 ohms (the very best examples can double the amount of power into 4 ohms over the 8 ohm number.) Also check what frequency range is quoted along with the wattage. A rating at 1kHz is not as good as 20 to 20kHz.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I think the 15 amps in Rotels case that you mention is the rating of the output devices. That would be a continious rating unlike the peak amperage rating of the Parasound. Even 15 amps continious is a very high rating without overheating the output devices. So I would think that the 1075 could deliver 15 amps continiously for small durations while the parasound could deliver peak currents upto 45 amps. I think the parasound also uses 15 amp output devices so it too can deliver that current continuously. I think they could be similar performance wise. They would have slight tonal variation though and you would have to listen to both in your setup to make a fair call. I think you would be happy with either.

Yoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
But the dilema is my B&W dealer only carries Rotel, not Parasound. So, whatever the sound I'm getting from Parasound amp at the other dealer with speaker brand X wouldn't necessarily relevant to what I can expect from my B&W isn't it??? I was wondering if Parasound would give me fuller midrange with 45amps.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
Like I said both are high current and I dont think you would be current limited in either case. Yes the parasound with another speaker would sound different from parasound in your system. The best thing is to find a dealer with a good return policy and try out the Parasound amp in your system and compare it with the Rotel in your system. Keep the one you like and return the other.

I have mostly seen B&W with Rotel so it must be a good match. If you cant try out the amps in your system then your safest bet would be to get the Rotel. I have no experience with Parasound and B&W tied together.

My $0.02

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks