What's new

Question About HDTV Movies On HDTV (1 Viewer)

Modena

Stunt Coordinator
I have a question about movie channels in high definition, (I have HBO and Showtime) Even though these movies are being shown in my 1080i input, aren't they just 480p that's converted to 1080i? It seems if I watch training day on DVD and on HDTV, the film can't be broadcasted in 1080i because it wasn't filmed in 1080i. I'm a bit confused to as how a DVD displays 480p while HDTV movie channels input 1080i. Which do you think looks better?

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
From what I've seen, the true HD versions from HBO and Showtime are definitely higher resolution than any DVDs I've seen. Some DVDs may come fairly close to looking like what HBO HD shows--I only had Showtime very briefly--BUT the difference is apparent enough for what I've seen. Might not seem night-and-day, but apparent enough nonetheless. Maybe a very grainy movie like Minority Report will look very close due to the grain though.

Anyway, film is actually higher resolution than 1080i. As long as the movie makes good use of film resolution AND the transfer from film to video makes good use of the 1080i format, it should look better than the DVD in 480p.

Now, if the HD movie channel is just showing a DVD version of a movie, then yeah, it won't look any better than the DVD aside from any side issues like upconversion quality and player quality.

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I finally saw much of Pulp Fiction on HBO HD last night, and the PQ looked great. It definitely looked as good as any I've seen and really looked just like film w/ a very natural and smooth look. :emoji_thumbsup: Definitely much better than any DVD although I still haven't seen the Pulp Fiction:SE DVD yet. Unfortunately, it was not OAR, :angry: but just cropped to 16x9 like HBO typically does. :thumbsdown:

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks