Question about HDCD decoding

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DavidYK, Mar 26, 2002.

1. DavidYK

DavidYK Agent

I have a Toshiba 9200 that decodes HDCD discs, however I have the player connected to my received with a digital coax cable.

My question is, am I getting true HDCD-decoded sound even though my receiver is the one doing the decoding? Thanks for any info.

2. Chris Barker

Chris Barker Auditioning

I've been interested in HDCD for a while and have a MF X-DAC that I use (currently tinkering with my own mods). I'm just a hobbiest, not an expert.

My understanding is that the HDCD part takes place in the digital filter part which in the case of the X-DAC is a Pacific Micronics PMD-100. I believe that part has been superceded by the PMD-200. I think there are also some burr-brown chips that now include the HDCD codes as well. There may be others.

My X-DAC has a burr-brown DAC.

I guess the signal comes of the disc goes through the PMD-100 with the HDCD decoding then gets passed to the DAC? That seems to be the flow of the circuit trace in the case of the X-DAC (front to back of the unit).

So the question is where does your unit lift it's digital output from. I guess it could go through the PMD-100 or similar filter but I would guess that the signal you are passing to your preamp/receiver via digital out is before the HDCD filter and thus you are bybassing the HDCD in this case?

I could be all wet?

You may be able to a/b it by hooking up an analog link and comparing the output. An interesting feature/bug? of HDCD processing is that it seems (so I've read) to drop the output of non-HDCD cd's by -6 db. This may be a clue to whether you are getting HDCD filtering in your output.

Sorry for the long winded answer. I don't know if I answered your question?

-CB

3. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

DavidYK:

the HDCD decoding is done where the DA conversion takes place. if you send the digital data to your rcvr and it does not do HDCD (most don't), then you are not getting HDCD. if you want HDCD, you must let the player do the decoding and use its analog outputs.

4. Alex Bischoff

Alex Bischoff
    David,

I believe Craig is correct. What you can do, though, is connect both the digital-out and the analog-out from your DVD player to your receiver.

Of course, this would use two inputs on your receiver, but you'd be able to have an easy digital connection for movies, while having a HDCD-decoded connection for CDs.

-- Alex