Question about HD receivers...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vincent_S, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I have been pondering lately to go ahead and get an HD receiver. My question is, do you have to switch to a different input to receive the signal or will the receiver automatically know it is coming in and display it? For example if I am watching a show CBS and it says it is being broadcast in HD, do I then have to switch over to input3 or whatever I happen to have the receiver hooked up to? I tried doing a search but came up with nothing.

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

You will pick up OTA digital TV signals, they will be displayed as 1080I but you will only get a couple hours of true HD if you are lucky, the rest of the time you will have to live with black bars on each side, I LOVE LUCY is not 1080I but to broadcast it in HD requires the black bars.
    I am not explaining this right but I own a Zenith HD420 and when on you recieve all DTV on the same componet input, for NTSC you bypass the box and the signal goes in your regular input, enabling you to use the same antenna for both. . .

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

You can leave your set top box receiver in the HD mode all the time..non Hd programming will be upconverted to 1080i or 720 p which ever way you have your receiver set up..

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

In my area all the digital stations (except FOX 480P) broadcast 1080I but when you encounter a show that is not true HD it is broadcast wiyh black bars on the sides for a 4.3 image only true 480P and true HD comes 16.9, you turn off the unit or put it in "Bypass" mode for analog stations. I use a Zenith HD420, finally took it back because there is nothing you can do about the black bars because they are broadcast with the program, got tired of only a handful of HD programs. I live in a large city and I get about 8 digital channels with rabbit ears.More to it than meets the eye. Finally I now consider the HDTV reciever like a DVD player, if I can watch it for a hour or so on occasion it is a success. At first I was going to get all my TV OTA, didnt work out very well. It is great when you get a true HD signal on a program you want to watch, 30min sitcoms get tireing no matter how good the picture.