Question about Harmony 628 remote...

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Mike Frezon, Jul 5, 2006.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Can anyone tell me:

1.) How many devices can be controlled by the Harmony 628?

2.) Can the 628 control HDTVs & HD cable box/DVRs?

3.) How many "activities" can be programmed?

The newer Harmony 880 is advertised as geared specifically for newer devices but many customer-based reviews seem to indicate that most of the Harmony remotes are the same basic devices with a few tweaks here and there.

If there are any 628 users out there, I have in my system an HDTV, an HD cable box/DVR, VHS vcr, Beta VCR (!), LD Player, CD Player and HT Receiver. Nuttin' too fancy...but am wondering if the newer stuff (HDTV & HD cable box/PVR) can be controlled?

I would also want to be able to program at least six activities (probably a few more).

Thanks in advance for ANY help you may be able to give.

2. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Okay.

I've got 2 out of 3 answered.

1.) It will control up to 12 devices.

2.) It CAN handle ANY device controlled by an infrared remote.

But Question #3 is the one which I need a Harmony Remote user to help me with. How many "activities" can be programmed onto your remote (not necessarily the 628). All info on the 628 talks about the "three activity buttons":

From logitech.com:

Under the 'More Activities" button can I create "activities" to "Watch VHS", Watch Beta", "Watch LD", etc? As many as I want? or is there a limited number?

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    On my 659, I have been able to add many different activities. I'm not sure what the limit is, if there is one at all beyond storage space. But you can access all the additional activities you create through the screen. The NEXT button pages the screen.

The most activities I have ever had at one time beyond the initial 3 button-activities was another 4, and that's only because that's all I set up.

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Joe:

Thanks! That's the answer I was hoping for...yet couldn't confirm ANYWHERE (including Logitech.com and remotecentral.com).

The Harmony 628 is on is way to me right now. Just $39.98 from amazon.com with $7.98 shipping. Might like to have some of the features on the newer models...but the price on the 628 won out. Am anxious to get my hands on it.

I've read soooo much about Harmony remotes researching this purchase over the past few days, my head started to hurt! [​IMG]

5. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    That's a great price for a Harmony Remote. You'll love the ease of use it brings to your home theater.