What's new

Question about h/k 520 and the component inputs (1 Viewer)

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I am a little unclear how the component inputs work with a receiver (in this case the 520) when hooked up to a tv.

q1 If I have 2 component inputs on my receiver and one component input on my tv (3 total) can I have 3 different component sources pluged in at the same time, or only 2?

q2 How does the receiver transfer the component input source to the tv?

Have not made a purchase yet and am just doing some research.

StevenK

Second Unit
The simple way to think about it is the 520 turns 2 Component Inputs into 1.

So if you have 3 component devices, your TV would need at least 2 Component Inputs.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I see. So if my tv had only 1 component input and I was using it with the 520, at most I could only have 2 component sources to switch between at a time. Correct?

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I got one more question.

Can the 520 component inputs do 480p, 720p, and 1080i just as good quality wise as if you plugged your component source directly into the tv's component input? In other words, will there be ANY picture loss when using the 520 component inputs as opoed to the tv's component inputs? (for all 3, 480p, 720p, 1080i)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
480p, 720p, 1080i and with some TVs, 540p, are all scan rates and have nothing to do with the ability of the receiver to pass them. The crucial factor in component video switching in receivers is the bandwidth limitation fo the switching circuits. Component video switching will always result in a some degree of picture loss--inevitable when you add stuff to the signal path. However, whether or not this loss is actually visible to your eyes depends on how sensitive you are, and what kind of display you have. With the 520, there should be no visible loss in picture quality because HK has a pretty generous bandwidth (can't remember the exact spec, but it's more than enough), provided you use decent cables for both component sources and the output to the TV. I have a 320 and have not noticed a loss in picture quality--to my eyes, it's done extremely well in the 320/520.

DavidVTHokie

Stunt Coordinator
I don't understand this whole data loss thing... I mean, it's digital data - so isn't there ECC going on? And as far as the bandwith, was it any mystery what bandwidth they were going to have to support? (Not a rant on HK, but receiver manufacturers in general).

StevenK

Second Unit
Todd,
The number I have for the 520 is 54Mhz, which is more than sufficient for 1080i. That's just the theory, however. It might be different in the real world. The best connection, or course, is a direct connection to the TV. I've tried the component switching once...to switch between a Dish6000 HDTV source and an interlaced DVD source. I certainly couldn't tell the difference between the direct connection and the 520 switched connection. Then again, I don't have videophile eyes...I'm much closer to J6P eyes! ;)
David,
I don't exactly understand your question...but component video is analog, not digital. So losses can come in many form.

StevenK

Second Unit
Todd,

As a 520 owner, I would suggest that look at the ergonomics of the remote, the bright green LEDs of the fascia that distracts quite a bit from the movie watching experience, and the lack of DD-EX. I'm beginning to get quite annoyed at these "features" or lack there-of. The sound is great though...so I guess that should balance it out.

Todd smith

Supporting Actor
I know what you mean. The bright LED's and dd-ex are the two most common complaints I have heard with this receiver. Lack of dd-ex is the biggie for me that keeps me from pulling the trigger. Every receiver seems to be a compromise though and after weeks of research, the 520 seems the best to me. Sound is my priority, so I think I would rather compromise in other areas. But, I have not totally made up my mind though. Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks