Question about Goldenthal Score on New Cut of ALIEN 3

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Travis Brashear, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

As I patiently wait for my $58.55 shipment of THE ALIEN QUADRILOGY from DeepDiscountDVD (yes, you might as well curse me...I'm sexy, too! [​IMG] ), I find myself increasingly curious how Elliot Goldenthal's extraordinary and utterly freakish (in a good way) music score for ALIEN 3 has been handled. I ask because I remember reading an article wherein David Fincher's original vision of the film purposely contained no score whatsoever, but the studio was repelled at such an unorthodox creative preference and disallowed it. Since the idea behind the new cut of the film was to return it back as closely as possible to his original vision, I was curious which of the following scenarios most accurately describes how the score has been handled:

1) The score has been completely removed from the film, as per Fincher's alleged original vision.

2) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, but all new footage is sans scoring.

3) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, and the exact same pre-existing score is recycled into the new footage.

4) The score remains as it was in the theatrical scenes, and entirely new Goldenthal music underscores the new footage.

Thanks for satiating an impatiently waiting ALIEN fan's curiosity...

2. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

3) - and in my opinion they did a good job with re-using the score.

Also there is a lenghty discussion with Goldenthal on the supplemental disc discussing both the score as well as problems with the film / production.

3. ErichH

ErichH Screenwriter

Good question. I get the impression the score was already in the extended work print. I could be wrong.
    E

4. Chris Woodard

They did a great job in score re-editing... except for one of the most important scenes.

Ripley's dive into the furnace had to be massively re-edited (for obvious reasons when you see the new cut) and it just doesn't work. Falls a little flat. Too much build up and not enough release.

But really, there was nothing you could do for a scene with such specific cues without having Goldenthal come in and do a new score. Which was simply not possible for this project. Maybe some day, when the set is re-done for the next major home video format, but I wouldn't count on it.

5. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

I noticed the mix of Goldenthal's score is spread generously across the front soundstage and carries over into the left-surround channel. The right surround doesn't get much use for the score, particularly early on in the film. For a while I thought something was wrong with my right surround speaker.

Cheers,