question about getting 5.1 sound using a comcast hd box

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ryan L. Bisasky, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Ryan L. Bisasky

Ryan L. Bisasky Second Unit

i appologize if this is the wrong area for this. but here goes.

i have a comcast hd dvr box that is capable of recieving 5.1 sound. apparently it would take an orange coaxil cable
    (something like this?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1093467328387 )
    i looked behind my sony home theater system and it only has one coaxil imput that is already taken by the dvd player. how would i go with this, listening to tv with the speakers is fine, but sometimes there is hissing every once in a while (especially on Nip/Tuck)
    thanks for the help.

2. John S

John S Producer

You only have one digital input on your sound system? And you have HDTV????

You need to upgrade your entire sound system it sounds like.

A digital audio switcher may get you beyond this, but to have HDTV and not have the audio to go with it is defiently short changing it some.

3. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

This may be an obvious question, but does your sony receiver have an optical input that you can use for the dvd player or the hd dvr and retain the coax for the other?

4. Ryan L. Bisasky

i can check (it be a minor pain to get that sob turned around. my dvd player is a jvc, and do they have optical imputs?

5. John S

John S Producer

DVD players have digital audio outputs, not inputs.

Some have digital coax, some have optical, many have both, but they are outputs.

6. DarrenAlan

DarrenAlan Stunt Coordinator

Just FYI, my Yamaha receiver has two sets of digital inputs -- one coax (RCA cable), one optical.

So my DishNet hi-def box uses the optical, and the DVD player uses the coax. That doesn't leave me any room for expansion, but at least I get 5.1 sound from both my key sources (satellite and DVD).

Hope this helps.

7. Chad F.

Chad F. Agent

Yes, I think you need to upgrade. Is your system one of those HTB( home theater in a box) bundle. They are a ggod chep start but need to be upgraded for proper sound and visuals. My Harmon Kardon AVR230 has 3 optical and 2 coax inputs, that can be switched to go with other video inputs, very useful.

8. Westly T

Westly T Second Unit

I picked up a converter at Radio Shack a while back because it was very cheap (Less then $10 I think), they may still carry them. It has optical and coax digital in and out. You can connect either a coax or optical to it's input, and then get both Optical and Coaxial outputs. It's just a tiny little adapter thing with a power supply. I know they were also available at various prices from $15-$99 on various web sites.

9. Ryan L. Bisasky

acutally, my reciver has both coaxil and optical outputs, so now everything works fine (and i get to watch lost tonight in hd and in 5.1!

10. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

recievers have inputs, dvd players have outputs. just an FYI. The only outputs a reciever has are the monitor outs(video)and speaker outs.