Question about Front DLP Projector positioning...

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MarcoBiscotti, Feb 28, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Hey guys,

I have a question about ceiling mounting a front DLP projector in a home theatre...

I bought the Sharp XVZ-12000 and would like to have it installed on a ceiling mount... my ceilings are 10ft high, however there is a floor to ceiling window on the wall directly behind where the projector would be positioned.

I do not want to have the projector hanging down in front of the window, so I'm wondering it it would be possible to have it mounted at a higher position than the screen (Luxus Deluxe Firehawk) on the opposite wall, and just have it angled lower?

Does that make sense to you guys?

I'm basically just asking if the screen and projector would need to be leveled with one another, or if the projector could be positioned higher up from the screen and pointed at a downward angle?

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

It depends on the projector. Many projectors offset the image some. IE, my BenQ6200 is mounted flush and level on the ceiling, but the top of my screen is 2 feet lower than the ceiling. Look in the manual for the Sharp and see what it says. You can always angle the projector down and then use keystone correction, but that will result in a degraded image.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Chris.

I'm having an electrician come in next Wed. to wire for the speakers and lighting, etc. who works in ht construction and hardware so I guess I'll ask his advice on setup as well..

Thanks!

4. Darren McGruther

Darren McGruther Stunt Coordinator

good rule of thumb is the lense of the PJ should be level to the top of the screen

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Good to keep level with top of screen but that is not always possible. The 12K has keystoning/shift adjustments that you can use to compensate in this case.

I have had to use a little keystoning in my setup due to the 12'+ ceilings. A 5' pole did not attract me.