What's new

Question about FRITZ LANG'S INDIAN EPIC... (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
The two films, TIGER OF ENSCHAPUR and INDIAN TOMB, made by Fritz Lang in the late fifties, were imported to the USA in a severely truncated form (roughly 90 minutes instead of the intended 203) as JOURNEY TO THE LOST CITY in 1959, which I saw several times as a child.

The DVD's of this epic are now presented in the original German language, uncut. The aspect ratio of the DVD's is 1.33:1, and does not seem cropped. I can accept that Lang might well have filmed in the Academy ratio in 1957-58.

But IMDB lists the short version I saw, JOURNEY TO THE LOST CITY, as having a 2.35:1 ratio.

Was the U.S. edition matted for fake widescreen, or are these otherwise nice-looking DVD's cropped?

Has anyone knowledge of this? Thanks in advance.

Scott Pierson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure, but I did not notice anything weird about the framing when I watched this. I really dug this film. Some truly bizarre stuff. The snake (deliriously funny un-special effect), and the very hot dance made this well worth it. ;)

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
IMDB frequently lists incorrect information, especially regarding aspect ratios.

I've seen the discs in question and the compositions looked right - they might have been framed with 1.66:1 in mind, but definitely not 2.35:1.

Orlac33

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew Smith
Glen Erikson's review suggest widescreen, but the clips I've seen of the DVD look like standard Academy rather than open matte.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks