1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question about French DVDs of The Lost Patrol & Le Samourai

Discussion in 'DVD' started by SteveGon, Feb 13, 2005.

1. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I know both of these have been released in France recently and I'm interested in getting them.

Does Le Samourai have English subtitles as I've heard?

I'm assuming The Lost Patrol has French subtitles; are they removable?

And the transfers?

2. SteveGon

And a few other French DVDs I'm interested in:

Tous les Matins du Monde and Werner Herzog's Signs of Life.

Anyone? [​IMG]

3. LaurenceGarvey

LaurenceGarvey Second Unit

I have THE LOST PATROL, yes the subtitles are removeable, and yes, it's a good transfer.

4. SteveGon

5. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

The French R2 PAL edition of Le Samourai is OOP, but brand-new copies can be found at Amazon.fr.

It helps if you are registered with Amazon.com first - unless you understand French. Not all of the sellers will ship outside France, so it may take try trial and error - as it did for me: I clicked on all of available copies and then deleted the remaining selections. Does that make sense?

The transfer of Le Samourai is superb: clean; fairly sharp; high bitrate (7-8 mbps) and the mono sound is free of crackle, distortion, etc. The black level can we a tad weak in places, but overall, it is a solid transfer.

Read the screen-captured review here: www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview/lesamourai.htm

----------------------------------------------------

Tous les Matins du Monde is available in France, but is has neither French nor English subtitles.

----------------------------------------------------

Signs of Life (Signes de Vie) is only available in a boxed set: http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASI...814063-0875353

I can't be certain if it has English subtitles or not. My guess, is that it doesn't.

Lebenszeichen, as it is know in Germany, is available seperately, but has no English subs.

Anchor Bay really need to put all the remaining Herzog films out seperately and in a boxed set like they have done with many of his films.

Where the Green Ants Dream is available in Germany:
    Wo die Grünen Ameisen Träumen

Not one of his best, but the anamorphic transfer is excellent and the extras are great... if you can understand German!

6. SteveGon

Thanks, Gordon. I have Where the Green Ants Dream which is a favorite, despite it not being prime Herzog. I didn't figure that Signs of Life and Tous les Matins du Monde had English subs. [​IMG] (I doubt we'll see a R1 release anytime soon.)

7. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Le Samouri is still in Print. Amazon.fr does that sometimes. I've seen about ten different titles they stopped carrying for some odd reason. They stopped carrying Le Samouri over a year ago.

8. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

Le samouraï is on special at www.cinestore.com

You have to buy three (or 2 other items from the offer) to get the price but I'm sure they're easily off loaded since they are **RARE** and **OOP**.

Or so I read on Ebay [​IMG]

Incidentally the last time I bought this offer I was charged for only 2 discs (I chose 3 of the same).

9. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Auditioning

Regarding "Tous Les Matins du Monde", I was able to buy a Region 2 DVD of it about a year ago from TF1 Video who were the producing studio. Since then, as is often the case with French DVD, it has been withdrawn from sale. This DVD had no subtitles (English or French).

For those of you who are interested as I am with French movies on DVD and if you can read French, the two best sites for price comparison and technical information are dvdpascher and dvdfr, respectively.

Also, as you probably know several French internet sites (in particular Amazon and fnac) sell Region 2 French DVDs and ship them to a US address but many other sites (like Cdiscount who often have fantastic deals) will not. The trick is to have a French contact to act as an intermediary.