Question about fonts

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jon_Are, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I am soon going to do a full-install of Windows 7. I have several fonts installed within my Windows Vista that I'd like to move onto an always-connected external drive where they can live forever.

So, anticipating this, I've already copied them to drive L (they're currently on both C and L). Once I format C, they'll be gone from there.

I assume my Microsoft Office programs - which will also be newly installed - will not know to look for my fonts on the L drive. I know Office will install many fonts into the C/fonts directory automatically.

My main question is this: How can I tell Office to install its fonts onto L? And how can I tell it to forevermore look to the L drive for all my fontal needs?

Or, should I just, once Office is installed, drag them all from L back to C? Why or why not?

Thanks!

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'd put em where the OS wants em.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

Yes, the fonts folder is a system folder. What you can do is archive them on the external harddrive, and there's an Install Fonts option in Windows 7 that will copy them all to the right place.