What's new

Question about focus.....in general. (1 Viewer)

Dan Kolacz

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

I had aSony 61HS20 TV that had a few different problems that the technician could not resolve.

One thing I noticed was that the green CRT seemed out of focus. In other words, when in the PJE grid, on the right 1/4 of the screen from top to bottom, the green line was double the thickness of the blue and red. This caused a very noticeable blurriness. It also appears on the bottom left of the screen to a lesser degree.

I had the set replaced (not because of this)

The new set, has a very similiar issue. But this time it is the red CRT and it is on the left 1/4 of the screen from top to bottom. The red lines in the PJE grid are 2x-3x the size of the green and blue. This makes adjusting convergence a pain since red peeks out on both sides of the lines and everything is again very blurry in this area.

Seems like a focus problem. But my question is....is this normal? Do all sets do this when they are not properly focused? I suppose this could be one of those "comprimise" issues in which I have to adjust focus to look decent across the entire screen, but how do I know for sure?

My concern is that the store I am buying from is selling second-hand factory refurbed units. The price I paid for a new set seemed much less that what others have mentioned for the same set, so I guess this could be the case.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
HI!

Do a electronic then mechanical then another electronic focus. How does it look now?

If the grids are still different sizes you have a problem.

You can either do another mechanical focus and make an average focus over the entire screen (vs a tight focus in the middle). Or you can shim up one corner (or side ) of the lense to help compensate. The shimming can open yourself up to a bunch of problems

Gregg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks