What's new

Question About Films with No Blu Ray Releases (1 Viewer)

Pedro Barragan

Auditioning
Real Name
Pedro Barragan Jr
Hi, I'm new and I collect Blu Rays. Anyways one of my all-time favourite filmmakers Woody Allen has had the luxury of getting his films from his MGM days released through Twilight Time. Sadly I was late to get a Blu Ray of The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Radio Days and Broadway Danny Rose since they are now out of print. My question is does anyone usually pick up the rights to these releases? I know Kino Lober does some but I just wanted to know whether I should stick around for more of these releases or not.

Also, some of his films from the '90s have yet to get a proper restoration. I want Sweet and Lowdown and Match Point on Blu Ray. Tell me if any of you guys know insiders to any of this. Thanks

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hi, I'm new and I collect Blu Rays. Anyways one of my all-time favourite filmmakers Woody Allen has had the luxury of getting his films from his MGM days released through Twilight Time. Sadly I was late to get a Blu Ray of The Purple Rose of Cairo, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Radio Days and Broadway Danny Rose since they are now out of print. My question is does anyone usually pick up the rights to these releases? I know Kino Lober does some but I just wanted to know whether I should stick around for more of these releases or not.

Also, some of his films from the '90s have yet to get a proper restoration. I want Sweet and Lowdown and Match Point on Blu Ray. Tell me if any of you guys know insiders to any of this. Thanks

Not knowing your current equipment situation
My suggestion would be to look into buying a Region Free Bluray player and the UK ARROW releases of many of these titles many which have at least similar transfers on Blurya to the US releases -- a region free player can be had used/refurb for less than $100 or up to $200 depending on you need 3D and/or 4K upscaling (if you have an OPPO then $50 can be done with a $50 plug in unit).

Match Point appears to have several international releases and while a lot of discs can be region free, almost all the Woody Allen EU releases are B locked

Sweet and Lowdown doesn't appear to have a release anywhere,.

With a $100 Player -- you could get the 3 Arrow Volumes of Woody Allen releases with 19 movies for around $100 if you wait for the fairly regular sales. $200 total would be just a bit cheaper than trying to accumulate all the US releases

There quite a lot of EU releases that don;t have US releases or at least similar releases at a fraction of the cost.

Pedro Barragan

Auditioning
Real Name
Pedro Barragan Jr
Not knowing your current equipment situation
My suggestion would be to look into buying a Region Free Bluray player and the UK ARROW releases of many of these titles many which have at least similar transfers on Blurya to the US releases -- a region free player can be had used/refurb for less than $100 or up to $200 depending on you need 3D and/or 4K upscaling (if you have an OPPO then $50 can be done with a $50 plug in unit).

Match Point appears to have several international releases and while a lot of discs can be region free, almost all the Woody Allen EU releases are B locked

Sweet and Lowdown doesn't appear to have a release anywhere,.

With a $100 Player -- you could get the 3 Arrow Volumes of Woody Allen releases with 19 movies for around $100 if you wait for the fairly regular sales. $200 total would be just a bit cheaper than trying to accumulate all the US releases

There quite a lot of EU releases that don;t have US releases or at least similar releases at a fraction of the cost.
Hey so do you know where I can buy a good Region Free Blu Ray player. Used or new works. I've been craving one for a while.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Normally I just suggest using the 2 big suppliers who have good reputations with warranty and trial periods -- 220Electronics and Bombay Electronics both whose main business operates out of Illinois.
Both have standalone sites and Ebay storefronts and Bombay regularly gives 10% off on a first order. I think you have more options for refurb units and seemingly less common Ebay 10-15% off coupons. I bought a Sony 6700 from Bombay a couple years ago for $160 as a 2nd unit and it works well though I now have an Oppo 93 and 103D with the Region Free mods which I prefer. The Sony is nice, but very slight build and noisier than the Oppo (not a surprise), but the region changing is quicker and much simpler. You do have to be a bit careful checking out on Ebay esp since many of the listing will say Region Free Capable, but you have to switch to the selection that is already modded to get the correct item. There are a couple Ebay sellers which I think are just separate storefront name for those 2 major dealers.

Some people also just get a standalone UK Region B player through Amazon and either use a power converter or many of them have universal power supplies anyway so they accept US and UK power sources

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks