What's new

question about Felston DD740 (1 Viewer)

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Just got into blu-rays and I've been having a fair number of lip sync issues. Looking around and doing some research I came across the Felston DD740 which seems to be the answer. However, most of the lip sync issues I've read about on forums usually involve the audio being ahead of the video. In my case, my lip sync issues involve the VIDEO being ahead of the audio. I'll see the actors' mouths move, and then the words come out however many milliseconds later, or someone will shoot a gun, and then afterwards you hear the gun shot. Some stuff plays perfectly in sync, others don't.

Everything I've read about the Felston refers to it as an audio delay system, but my audio is already being delayed behind my video, adding more audio delay will make it worse. Can the Felston be used to actually "un-delay" the audio?

Also, I don't have any receivers or anything, I just use a simple HDMI connection from my Pioneer 51FD to my LG LCD. Can the Felston still be used without receivers?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It appears that the Felston would work without a receiver as long as your TV has optical or coax digital inputs. Probably best to contact Felston with your other questions. But it seems to me like for what it cost, it would make more sense to just get a better blu-ray player.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Wayne. I tried contacting Felston about a week ago but they never answered my questions. I was hoping someone here that had experience with the Felston could chime in. But thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

neillaaa

Auditioning
Real Name
Neill
Dear Matt,

I just discovered hometheaterforum today as I was researching video projectors for the first time. I only observed the delayed video a couple weeks ago at a friends house and could not even watch the movie. It looked like a HALF SECOND delay to me! So I was excited to find the solution here.

But your problem is delayed sound. This is a surprise to me that this could happen due to the greater difficulty of processing video, but I don't doubt you. I know practically nothing about this equipment yet but I can certainly answer your question.

Despite the claims of clairvoyants, I know of nothing that knows the future. And for the DD740 to advance the sound stream it would have to have information that has not yet exited your Pioneer 51FD. Thus it can only delay, never advance. But there could be a similar product that is sold that can delay your video signal which IS known before the matching sound.

This equipment might be expensive. But many years ago I recall that "delay lines" were built into oscilloscopes so that you could see the start of a signal that had triggered your sweep.

Good luck, Neill

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks