What's new

Question about 'Eye of the Beholder' DVD. (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
I bought this one used for $6 and am willing to give it a try despite mixed reviews...but I don't see any extras scenes or alternate endings listed under Special Features.

One IMdb reviewer seems to think they were critical for understanding the film...what am I missing?

=======================================

"I had not seen this movie when originally released because of bad reviews. I did however recently pick up the DVD in the $5.99 rack at Target mainly because I really like Ewan McGregor and Ashley Judd. They did do their usual fine job of acting but I must admit that the plot was convoluted and illogical and the first time through watching it normally, I was disappointed in the lingering confusion.

I then watched the one deleted scene and the alternate ending and it changed my whole perspective. Sometimes alternate endings do not really change much but this was the most dramatically different alternate ending I have ever seen. It wrapped up everything for me and made the whole thing crystal clear and satisfying.

I can not imagine why they left out this long segment that does not so much result in an alternate ending per se, but rather fills in a lot of the holes that I had in my head. It is worth your time to rent the DVD and see this alternate ending. It may change your mind about the movie."

====================================

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Had the bright idea to check the Full Screen side for different extras, no such luck.

Checked some professional DVD sites, no mention of the alleged extras.

On the up side, the director's commentary is suppose to be great and might explain a few things about the reported plot issues.

Hard to imagine how the IMdb reviewer could be *so* specific and *so* wrong...kinda blows.

Gordon St Pierre

Stunt Coordinator
I have this DVD & it does have Deleted scenes & Alternate ending
Must have been a couple different releases of it or something
It is a Canadian version..purchased back in early 2000

FROM IMBD
Alternate Versions for
Eye of the Beholder (1999)

Overseas prints are longer than U.S. prints; including extra scenes such as one with Jean and John Teodoro as doormen.

Canadian DVD offers a deleted scene (where the Eye has a final conversation with his daughter, via a dream sequence) and an alternate ending. The latter shows an epilogue after the crash, where we see the Eye standing at Joanne's grave. As he's leaving, he spots a young girl visiting her mother's nearby plot, and has a bonding moment with her.

The trailer on the Canadian DVD shows footage not shown in theatres:
Judd walking down the street wearing a red wig, watched by McGregor.
Judd smashing a toll booth window with her bare hand, surprising a clerk.
McGregor and his daughter in a hotel room as snow falls indoors (this is part of the dream sequence that led him to find Joanna at the hospital and it preceeded the shot of McGregor in the helicopter wearing a headset).
A shot of McGregor running away from police and firing his gun into the air (in the final version he just runs away).
A higher angle shot of the body falling out the flooded bathroom.

The UK DVD has a longer ending:
Before the motorcycle and the car collide, they ride side by side in slow motion. McGregor holds out his hand to Judd as if he's her guardian angel. Just as they touch fingers the car lurches off into the snowbank. (US versions just have the vehicles colliding).

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Gordon,

Thanks for all the info.

I'll take a closer look after I check out the movie.

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
I realize this is a very old post but I just happen to come across it and wanted to add clarification. There is a scene that got deleted in which Ewan McGregor talks to a doorman, played by John Teodoro. It's a short scene and I am unclear as to what the director had in mind but the doorman's costume was one of those long-tailed jackets and tall hat. The Eye is walking on the street not sure where to look anymore and he approaches a doorman standing in front of a building and shows him a picture and ask if he's seen her. The doorman responds no and the Eye insists and ask are you sure? The doorman takes the pic and looks closer and says no sorry. No point really or maybe supposed to be one of those Mulholland Drive / David Lynch things, not sure.

In either case, the footage was deleted and not on any DVD and from what I know the sound was horrible non-existent and it was filmed in downtown Montreal.

Just don't ask how I know all this. ;-)

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Blimey Damien, at over 14 years I reckon this takes the HTF grand prize for all-time longest dormant thread resurrection – congratulations! :lol:

The DVDCompare listing looks pretty comprehensive so it looks unlikely there's any rare footage available not already mentioned.

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
LOL I know! As I said just stumbled upon this older thread while Googling!

You are correct that no footage is available. As I mentioned, the footage was never released in any DVD, it ended up on the "cutting room floor" as the old saying goes. Hence in IMDB you can also see the mention "scenes deleted." I've seen a copy of the clip on a very old VHS cassette and it contains no sound just time code.

Sorry to have resurrected this as I'm sure no one cares about a 1999 4.9 rated movie; was just setting the record straight!

Now back to my HT project!

NYCAudiophile

Auditioning
Real Name
Keith Crist
Just watched this on TiVo. I cannot understand why this movie got such horrible reviews! I’m glad I didn’t check reviews before watching, as I really enjoyed this movie. Great storyline, excellent acting, unpredictable ending. Sad, morbid , yet beautiful at the same time. Highly recommended!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks