Question about Energy speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Todd Stout, May 22, 2005.

1. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Hello all,
    I recently auditioned the Energy C-9 speakers and I really liked the sound of them. My question is which of their center channel speakers is more closely matched to the C-9s, the C-C1 or the C-C3? I have been browsing the Energy Speakers Web site and it would appear that either one will work but I'm not sure.

The C-C1 has a pair of 5 1/2" woofers which makes me wonder how closely it'll match the 6 1/2" woofers of the C-9s. The C-C3 does have 6 1/2" woofers but it also has a pair of midrange drivers in it that the C-9s do not have. Can any of you guys that are familiar with Energy speakers help me out?

Here is a link to the entire Energy Connoisseur line:
    http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...-line.php?id=4

Thank you.

2. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

The C-C3 is a better match IMO.

3. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

Okay, I will keep that in mind then. Does everyone else agree?

Unfortunately the store that I was at (Good Guys in Montclair, CA) had the C-C3 in the same room as the C-9s but the C-C1 was in the other room with the C-1s and C-3s.

4. Phil Hunt

Phil Hunt Extra

I BOUGHT THE ENERGYS AND I HATED THEM THEY ARE GOING BACK TODAY! I have older polks that sound much better to my family and friends, i would not waste the money i liked them at first but as each day went by i hated them more amd more, they would accualy give me a headache!
    i had 4 C-9's and the C-3 center. they cost me $2000.00 otd
    and will be returned to the goodguys in Sacramento on Arden way if someone wants th try to get an open box buy, but i wouldnot recomend it!

5. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

What didn't you like about them? I sat and listened to the C-9s for a good 20 minutes or so and never once noticed anything that I didn't like about them. I know buying speakers is all about what I personally like but I'm just curious what it was about the C-9s that you disliked so much?

I have heard the Polk audio Monitor 70 at a local Circuit City and those sounded okay to me as well. To my ears the C-9s sounded a bit more detailed though and the imaging was a bit better. I'd love to hear what the RTi-10s sound like but there doesn't seem to be a store locally that carries them. I also like the Polks I have heard in the past such as the RT-800, RT-55, and RT-35 but those of course are now long gone.

6. Dave Lindhorst

Dave Lindhorst Stunt Coordinator

I just went through this myself. I auditioned in my home Dahlquist Q10s, Polk Audio RTi 16s and the Energy C-7. I chose the C-7 and I am very happy with that choice after 3 months. I think you need to narrow down the choices and take some home to listen to. Energys can be a little bright in some rooms. I find they are great in my particular listening area. The detail is awsum IMHO but some call this excessive brightness. The Q10s were very nice also as were the Polks but I didn't want 3 different speaker pairs.

7. matthewRaz

matthewRaz Stunt Coordinator

i have had a pair of c-7s as my stereo set up for over a year and love them. i was looking for something with warmth and focused punch, but in auditioning i quickly chose to upgrade only if something clearly blew me away. paradigm, mission, mordaunt-short didn't. energy did. detail, transparency and soundstage. now i must rely on the source material to provide warmth, punch etc. and on the downside harshness or fatigue because the energys reveal everything. i can only imagine what a better room would do. in a smallish hardwood floored open style loft the titanium tweeter will produce extremely "vivid" highs (especially at higher volume) - but a well recorded source (radiohead "kid a" or the sacd "getz and gilberto" etc.) are lush at any volume.

8. Todd Stout

Todd Stout Screenwriter

When I sat down for a listen at the Good Guys, I really was impressed by the imaging and the detail of the C-9s. There didn't seem to me to be any harshness in what I was hearing. They sounded good to my ears but listening in store isn't the most ideal thing to be doing.

In contrast, the Klipsch RF-7s that were sitting next to the C-9s seem to have a bit more accurate imaging but to my ears they sound a bit harsh. My dad has a full set of Klipsch speakers including the RF-7s and they sound nice to me in his media room but still are a bit on the harsh side to my ears.