Question about DVD-ROM [on Mac]

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nathan V, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Nathan V

Nathan V Supporting Actor

I just got the new imac, after my old Windows computer froze one too many times. Sometimes during a film, it will get extremely choppy and stop, with an error message: "DVDManager player fatal error -36" or something like that, I distinctly remember the 'dvdmanager' and the '-36.' The Apple web site just told me download the latest version of DVD Player. I really doubt this will do anything. Since I only just got the computer, so tech support hasn't been set up yet. What is going on? What do I do? HELP!

[What actually makes this question important is that I despise television, so I have no TV. This is my only way to watch DVD's]

Nathan

2. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    I may be wrong, but I believe that Macs don't support Rom based material.

3. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

This article mentions sleep. Also consider although the computer is new, it may have been sitting on a shelf somewhere. I would make sure
    - The OS is up-to-date (10.1.5)
    - You're using DVD Player 3.0.1 -- check About DVD Player, under the application ("DVD Player") menu. It should be in the latest update, and there's a link in the article.
    - Disable sleep mode (at least to see if the problem goes away), or at least turn up both the screen and hard disk timeouts to (say) 2-1/2 or 3 hours if that's possible, longer than the movie.
    //Ken

4. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

3.1.1 is the latest version of the DVD player.

I'd suggest just running the Software Update in the Prefs panel. It'll find most (if not all) the system software updates you need.

I've never had a problem like that playing DVD's w/ 3.1.1 on 10.1.5 (or any earlier version for that matter).

5. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Definitely run the Software Updater. I don't know what version of OS X came on your machine, but it probably is 10.1, which has had several extensive updates up to and including 10.1.5. As Mike said, the latest DVD Player version is 3.1.1 and Software Update will upgrade to that automatically as you apply the various patches.