Question About DVD/Receiver Combo (Need Help..New)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JayMartin, Jul 28, 2005.

1. JayMartin

JayMartin Auditioning

Hi
    I'm quite new to the whole home theatre world and am looking into purchasing one for school...which i would be using it for watching tv, dvds and playing xbox/playstation 2 etc

Ive heard that if you buy a system with a dvd player/receiver combo...you will not get the full amount of sound that you would normally get from a receiver with that amount of power

For example...if the system has a total power of 600W, would that mean you would only get say 400W of power output to the speakers? Is that only if you are using the DVD player to watch DVDs and it wouldnt affect the sound for television and/or xbox games?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

2. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Welcome to the forum, bro!

I don't know if there is a mechanical explanation for what you are suggesting. I wouldn't think so, as dvd players use almost no power to play dvds. What I think is more likely is that dvd/receiver combos are usually of lesser quality than separate components. Also, manufacturers play with their wattage ratings, so an all in one system bragging about 600 total watts is probably not likely to produce the same power as a stand alone receiver of good quality with the same wattage rating.

I'm assuming you are college age, by the school and gaming comment [​IMG] and on a budget. If the best you can do is an all in one, you can probably find one you like. Before buying, you should however look into the Onkyo HTiBs (home theater in a box) which are reasonable, a great value for the money and have separate components that you can build on as you upgrade, or as things need to be replaced. The big detriment of an all in one unit is that if it breaks, you are in the market for both a dvd player and reciever. And maybe even speakers too, as many of the all in one units have some exclusive dvd/receiver to speaker connection.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jay, pay no attention to the power ratings offered by manufacturers of the equipment you are looking at. What you want is the continuous power rating (as in "RMS") across the audio spectrum (from 20 Hz to 20 kHz) at a given resistance (typically, 8 ohms) at a rated amount of distortion (both THD and IMD), preferably with all five (or six or seven) channels being run.

The most powerful A/V receivers (such as the top-of-the-line Denon AVR-5805) are usually capable of producing 170 watts per channel in this fashion, but you would have to pay $6,000 for that unit.

But anything that says "600 watts total power" is the result of a copywriter speaking in marketing-ese.

4. JayMartin

JayMartin Auditioning

Thanks for the help so far guys

I looked into some of the stuff mentioned and these are the stats

Output Power - Home Theater Mode (FTC) Total Output Power: 390W
    Front: 35W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 6 ohms, 1% THD)
    Center: 110W (120Hz-20kHz, 6 ohms, 1% THD)
    Surround: 35W x 2 (120Hz-20kHz, 6 ohms, 10% THD)
    Subwoofer: 140W (45Hz-120Hz, 4 ohms, 1% THD)

Output Power - Home Theater Mode Total Power: 600W
    Front: 55W x 2 (1kHz, 6 ohms, 10% THD)
    Center: 160W (1kHz, 6 ohms, 10% THD)
    Surround: 55W x 2 (1kHz, 6 ohms, 10% THD)
    Subwoofer: 220W (100Hz, 4 ohms, 10% THD)

Its what was listed on the website. Im Not sure was some of this means, but I'm understanding it a little more. I'm looking at the Panasonic Home Theatre System (for starters remember )
    The Model is SC-HT680

It looks like a system that would satisfy me fairly well I think. I'm looking to spend around 500 bucks Canadian. Any ideas/opinions are welcome once again. Thanks!

PS. Sorry about the new thread. You can delete it

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

10% THD is horrible.

6. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator