Question about DVD players and recorders.... can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bill Williams, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

I've got a question about DVD players and recorders, one I hope someone on this board can answer for me.

For some time now I've been debating about getting a DVD recorder so I can transfer a number of personal home movies on VHS onto DVD, and I'm now in a financial position to get one. I've got my eye on several different models, but my main concern is finding one that will be compatible to play the recorded discs back on my Sony DVP-NS315 DVD player.

Here's my concern. All of the DVD recorders I've seen can record in DVD+R and DVD+RW format, and my Sony player can play back discs in DVD-R format. So as you can see, I want to be able to get a DVD recorder that can record, then I can play the recorded discs back on my Sony player.

My question is, can the Sony DVP-NS315 play back DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs? I know they can play back DVD-Rs, that's not a problem. But I want to make sure that I can play DVD+Rs and DVD+RWs in my Sony player, and I want to know it before I go in and get a DVD recorder. The last thing I want to do is get a player, do the transfers, and be out a DVD recorder because it won't play the discs back on my DVD player.

If anyone has any experience with the Sony DVP-NS315 and with DVD+Rs or DVD+RWs, let me know. Thanks!

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Have you checked www.videohelp.com ? They have an extensive player compatibility listing based on user experiences.

3. Harold Southard

Harold Southard Stunt Coordinator

Not sure if you just want a dvd recorder or one with a hard drive, but I would suggest one with an hd. With that you may look at the Toshiba XS52. It records dvd-r and dvd-ram. It has a 160 gig hd. It upconverts to 480p, 720p, and 1080i. It also has hdmi. I have had one for about 3 weeks now and love it. It also has a firewire port in the front for connecting a dv camera.

4. Bill Williams

Bill Williams Screenwriter

Steve and Harold, thanks for the suggestions! I was able to go to VideoHelp.com and look up the information, and sure enough, my Sony DVP-NS315 supports DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, and DVD+RW formats. That answered the main questions I had, and I know how to proceed in getting a DVD recorder - thanks! [​IMG]

(Mods, you have my permission to close this thread, as I've now got the answers I need.)