What's new

question about DVD layer change (LACONF 2-disc SE) (1 Viewer)

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Last night I watched my old original-issue single-disc DVD of LA CONFIDENTIAL. Once again I was perturbed by the layer change, which (you probably noticed) happens right in the middle of one of Kevin Spacey's best scenes, when the camera is directly on his face and he's delivering a great piece of acting. I can't figure out why they didn't wait till the scene fade out and then do the layer change there, instead of having this terrible pause and freeze right in the middle of an important scene.

So my question is: Where's the layer change on the newer 2-disc DVD "Special Edition" of LA CONFIDENTIAL? Is it in a better place? I understand that the newer set utilizes what may be the same print of the film, but no reviews ever mention the layer change.

Can't be that I'm the only person on earth who's noticed this.

Any illumination available? Thanks for your insight!

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
[sigh]

My questions must suck. I never get any replies. Is it my breath?

I'll simplify: When's the layer change in the film in the 2-disc Special Edition of LACONF? Anyone know?

...Thanks!...

MC

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Maybe no one knows the answer... but I could try and find it for you... do you know which scene in particular has the change on your original disc? I can tell if it's in that scene or not on the 2 discer.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
Maybe no one knows the answer ...

On the HTF? People here know the exact frame-reproduction algorithms and color correction hues (and bit rates) for the Chuck Conners/Tanya Roberts C-movie TOURIST TRAP. How could they not know the layer-change info for something like LACONF? I think they just hate me, is all.

So, I appreciate your help. If you have the Special Edition DVD, I'd love it if you'd post for me the time stamp (and chapter number if possible) for the disc's layer change. On the original, single-disc movie version, it happens in the scene where Ed reveals his nemesis, "Rolo Tomasi," to Hollywood Jack, who's having an existential crisis at the moment, his eyes filled with tears. which might be the middle of Chapter 25. From what I can tell, this same scene is also Chapter 25 in the Special Edition, but the timing appears to be just off enough... that maybe the chapter change DOESN'T happen right on top of Kevin Spacey's serious line. Maybe they moved it to fade out of the chapter? Or, just before the chapter begins?

If you can tell me that the chapter does not feature the layer change right smack in the middle of it, right in the close up on Spacey's face, I will end up buying the Special Edition.

Thanks for your help!

MC

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Part of the problem may be that the people who are so deeply into that kind of thing have moved on to blu-ray and only deal with DVD when titles aren't available in high-def.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I knew I'd get that answer, too. That's why I didn't post this thread in the Blu-Ray forum, but in the DVD forum.

I'm not the only person still watching DVDs, am I?

HTF used to be much more information-oriented.

You know, back in the olden days of DVD. [sarcasm, but barely]

MC

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
* BUMP! *

With added disappointment for the apparent uselessness of the HTF, which used to be the font of all knowledge.

Anyone? Bueller...?

Sheesh. :(

MC

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
That layer change annoyed me also and is the reason I purchased the Blu-ray when it arrived. I never did get the 2-disc Special Edition or I would try to answer you. I have a feeling that most people did the same thing, at least the purists on HTF. Your right, they tell you everything you want to know about Tourist Trap, but then again, it is not out on Blu-ray, yet! I have noticed that this DVD Forum has less and less posts on it and those are mostly concerning the MOD and Shout! discs which all but the collectors are dismissing, but there is always a new controversy on the HTF Blu-ray Forum. The tide has changed due to the majors not supporting standard DVD.

Don't take a non answer personally, for I think it is just a change in times.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
And, alas, I used to be such an early adopter...

(I've been on the HTF over ten years!)

Oh well.

(No, this is not convincing me to switch to Blu-ray. Sigh....)

MC

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks