Question about DVD HDMI, bitsteam & TV speakers

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob>>>, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Bob>>>

Bob>>> Auditioning

Hi,

I have a Toshiba 5970 DVD player connected via HDMI to a Mits DLP TV. I know to get Dolby 5.1 from my Kenwood receiver (optical cable) I select bitstream in the digital audio out menu on the DVD player. While I get 5.1 fine, the TV speakers do not work when in bitstream via the HDMI connection. In PCM mode, the TV speakers work but then I get Pro Logic from the receiver. Is there a way to get TV speakers to work in bitstream with the HDMI connection? Thanks.

2. BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle Supporting Actor

Why would you want that? If you have surround sound coming from your receiver, then you do not want the downmixed coming from the TV as well.

But, you might be able to do it if you use the analog audio connection to the TV. Most DVD players will usually output 2 channel analog audio and bitstream at the same time.

3. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

There is no reason to have the 5.1 surround sound and the TV speakers on at the same time. If you just want to have "all the speakers I paid for" used, trust us, the sound will be worse instead of better. This is due to a few things - 1) Duplicating of some (not all) material. This will cause some channels to be out of balance with the others. 2) Speakers in a TV are of lesser quality than 99% of dedicated 5.1 speakers. 3) Even if the TV speakers are of equal quality (very doubtful), they are not timbre matched to the 5.1 speakers, so the tone will result in weird effects during pans.

Stick to the 5.1 digital connection for the digital sound. If you wish to watch TV without turing on the 5.1 system, run a set of analog audio cables from the DVD to the TV.