Question about DVD-A playback componenents.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

okay, my really stupid question of the day.
    are *all* dvd players capable of playing dvd-a?
    i don't think that my sony dvd player has the dvd-a logo, but i'm not sure. it's about two years old. it does have the onboard dd decoder and the 5.1 pre-outs.
    however, if this is the case, then i just realized i've had dvd-a capability this whole time and haven't checked out any hi-res music. [​IMG]

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

No, all DVD players are not capable of playing DVD-Audio, which is a separate high resolution audio format based on DVD-Video technology. Only those players that specifically state that they support DVD-Audio include the proper decoders to play the high resolution tracks.

However, all DVD-Audio discs also include either a Dolby Digital or DTS audio soundtrack that can be played on standard DVD-Video players.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

whew! thx scott. that makes more sense...
    now i have to decide which format i like...but that's a whole other thread. [​IMG]

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks lee -
    i'm actually already a silently subscribed lurker to that thread. although i openly admit to barely understanding the technical details, i do find it an interesting read.
    the sacd has a slight edge for me...only because of the backwards compatibility with regular cd players.
    i'll definitely be keeping an eye out though. i truly feel i'm missing out on some good hi-res stuff. i'm just not willing to make the leap until they settle this "format war" or those combi-players come way down in price. [​IMG]

6. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Ted:

Only SOME SACDs are backwards compatible - I BELIEVE the maker of the SACD has to consciously decide to make it backwards compatible.

I know Tubular Bells is, but I can't think of any others off the top of my head. Lee (Scoggins) seems to be a SACD expert, so I'd appreciate him clarifying.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Ted,

I don't know what you consider to be a reasonable price, but you could get the Pioneer Elite DV-45A universal player (DVD-Audio and SACD) for $500. It offers progressive-scan output as well. This player has been discussed here extensively, so a search prove beneficial.

Brian,

Sony is still releasing single-layer SACDs, meaning that these discs cannot be played on standard CD players. In addition, Universal Music Group has released some single-layer SACDs. All other labels have been releasing hybrid SACDs (discs with CD and SACD layers) exclusively. Universal has released some hybrid discs as well.

9. David Harris

David Harris Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the dv 45a it is an excellent player IMHO
    and i plays anything i throw at it, both sacd and dvda formats are good, however i like the titles released on dvda
    better, unless you love miles davis (sacd)... both formats are far better than standard cd's

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thx keith - 500 is about the max i think i could afford. i plan on making a trip to a new hi-fi store, so mebbe i'll check it out.

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Well I know im holding out waiting for the Yamaha s2300. I only hope the price is good.... hmmm i will have to start a thread on that methinks.