Question about dual Shiva sonosub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Steeves, Jul 6, 2001.

1. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit

Well Guys I have sold ALL my subs within the last month or so. So now I am subless [​IMG]
    Anyway I will of course have to build a new one! [​IMG]
    I plan on doing a dual Shiva sonosub like Mike K's. i.e. 48" long piece of 24" diameter tube with a 24" long 8" port. One driver on each end.
    My question arises when it comes to cancellations due to room interactions. I have heard Mike's on several occasions and like what I have heard! My only concern is my ceiling is only 8' not a vaulted ceiling like his. I wonder how this design will react in my room? I know there are formulas to figure out cancellations and bumps, but frankly I don't have the patience to figure them out. So, I ask you if you have a dual sono in a room like mine what can I expect? I'm not so concerned about bumps as I am about cancellations. Bumps can be tamed with the Behringer FBD.
    Any experience would be appreciated..
    Oh yeah I do know it will have to do with positioning of the sub and the listening position. But I think there will at least be a constant peak or suckout at the listening height. I hope I made sense here.

2. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
  3. James W. Johnson

James W. Johnson Screenwriter

I built a dual Shiva sonosub , 14cuft and 18Hz tuning, it sounds fantastic with my 8ft high ceilings.
    The fact is, the smaller your room is the better a given subwoofer will sound.
    ------------------
    James' DIY speakers

4. Julian Data

Julian Data Second Unit

Brian,
    I have completed several dual Sonosubs with Shivas and MASS drivers. I don't have 8' ceilings more like 86" that is tiled. The performance of these subs were in fact, spectacular. I didn't encounter any bass cancellation issues due to the layout of the drivers (one top and one bottom). In fact, having two drivers more or less helped the room in FR alone.
    BTW, you didn't list your room dimensions!
    [​IMG]
    PS: Did you get your new home finished?
    ------------------

5. Brian Steeves

Brian Steeves Second Unit