Question about DSL speed

Discussion in 'Computers' started by ChrisR, Jan 8, 2004.

1. ChrisR

ChrisR Stunt Coordinator

Well, my wife finally let me buy a computer last week.
    Right now I'm using dial up internet and I hate it.
    My local phone company is offering 256k dsl for $29.99 per month. What I want to know is that going to be good enough for downloading video like movie trailers and stuff. Also, does this look like a good deal?

Thanks.

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

That seems a bit low for DSL as most start at least at 768 down/128 up. Verizon, which I have, also comes in cheaper at the above mentioned speed at only $34.95 /month. I suggest u look up what's actually available in ur area at dslreports.com.

3. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

ive got dsl and i only get about 300, and my internet provider claims its 1mb[​IMG]

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

oh and 300 or so is fine for downloading video. 30.00 is a good deal to. (i pay 50 for 1mb)

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Chris,

Anything is better then dialup IF you use the net on a regular basis. Switching from dialup to DSL was a revelation. I am over paying at $50 for 640Kb/160Kb, but it's worth it IMHO. Where I live, there are very limited choices.

http://www.jackflash.com/pricing/pricing.asp

6. Aaron_*P

Aaron_*P Stunt Coordinator

I strongly suggest dsl reports.com, and a word of warning, stay away from AOL DSL if it ever tempts you, or aol in general, I have had horrible expeirences. If you want really fast, great priced dsl, and can get it, cyberonic.com offers the best raw speed for the price, however when I delt with them, the tech support was incredible, but I have heard things have been going downhill so you may want to check on that. Currently I have covad 1.5/384 soho dsl and it works great, considering I transfer many gigs a week up and down. Hope that helps. Other companies to look into are speakeasy, and megapath, and I probably left some out.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have some questions too, if anyone has time:

I have cable currently, thinking of switching to DSL. The savings would be more than $20 per month. What I'm trying to determine is if DSL will be faster/comparable to my current cable connection.

I think my cable speed is actually considerably sub par. I have NO IDEA what our connection is officially rated, but using a speed test like bandwidthplace.com I come up considerably shorter than most cable users (I think my scores before were 500k, lately I get maybe 900k).

On actual downloads the higest numbers I see are like 300kbps (and usually much less).

I'm considering switching to SBC DSL "Standard" (rated 384Kbps-1.5Mbps download) or "Deluxe" (rated 768Kbps-1.5Mbps).

I wonder if anyone is using a similar service (or the same) and could give some real world info on what kinds of speeds you actually get?

Also, does SBC have total transfer limits per month? I couldn't find anything on their site.

If SBC still challenging the RIAA?

-V

8. MarkStash

MarkStash Stunt Coordinator

Vince:

Interesting as I have considered the same thing. It appears that Verizon offers phone service (unlimited long distance, voice mail, conf. calling, etc.) plus DSL for about $89 a month. My cable modem service (through Comcast) alone costs about $50 a month. I just switched long distance, etc. to Verizon. I asked the question that you've asked yesterday of a guy who works for me and went the Verizon DSL route. According to him, the upload rate is slower (not too important to me). Let me know what you find, how you go and the results, I'd be very interested to hear. Good luck

Mark

9. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I use SBC Yahoo Standard and I get speeds far in excess of their guaranteed speed of 384 (My speed is 1.1 Mbps). 2 caveats: 1) I live, literally, next door to the switching station (although I must say my parents live about halfway from their switching station and they manage to get faster speeds than I do... although their phone lines were only laid about 13 years ago) and 2) DSL speeds are greatly affected by how far away you are and what shape the lines are in. Cable speeds, OTOH, are based on how many subscribing neighbors you have on your local network at any given time. It's really a give and take sitch, you can't really tell how fast it will be until you bite the bullet.

SBC Yahoo's customer service is really good and the only problem I've had is when I had to move my service and ended up with 2 accounts (they were able to fix it in a timely fashion and they reimbursed me in excess of the mistaken charges). My only gripe now is the price: $49.95 (wished I was still under the $29.95 trial umbrella [​IMG] )

I download a ton of stuff and I've never had a prob.

10. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

We've had verizon dsl and now have cox cable. Our internet just seems faster. No problems downloading, in fact it's pretty fast.

11. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

either cable or DSL can be faster in your area. . . there's a lot of factors that come into play. That is why it's better to ask users in the area for advice.

cable uses a shared bandwidth connection similar to a LAN for providing internet access. it allows for the average person to have a higher maximum connection, but it also means that in areas of heavy use the conenction will suffer.

DSL offers independant connections to everyone, which should lend to a more stable and predicatble internet speed. But you have to pay for it, one average DSL does cost more than Cable.

find other broadband users in the area and find out what their experiences were(are) like. this is really the only way to find out which will give you the best bang for the buck.