What's new

Question about DSL in different rooms of the house (1 Viewer)

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
I've had DSL in my computer room for two years, so I think I've got a good feel for its capabilities. Recently I moved the modem into a different room in the house, hooked it up to the same computer and have noticed quite a bit of slowdown. Am I dreaming? Is it possible that a different jack in the same house can result in different connection speeds? I'm also running into frequently visited pages not loading at all for no apparent reason (the HTF for example). This rarely happened in the other room. I'm confused.

Pieter

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If you are picking up any kind of line interference over the phone line at the new connection, yes, that could happen. It's always best to keep a cable or DSL modem as close to the cable's entryway into the house as possible and use network cable or wireless for the rest of the house. Extending the distance from the entry point to the modem location will always increase the risk of interference and/or signal loss.

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
This is an interesting question. I know with a cable modem, it doesn't slow down, it just works until it can't maintain a connection.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Having been stuck taking DSL tech support calls for a year ending just this past month, I can tell you that if you are using the same modem and the same Cat 5 or USB cable connecting the modem to the PC, I would almost guarantee it is the phone jack on the wall or the inside wiring. From personal experience troubleshooting DSL, the wiring and jacks can vary wildly just between two rooms next to each other. Even two jacks in the same room can yield different results if there is a problem with the inside wiring.

I'm also running into frequently visited pages not loading at all for no apparent reason (the HTF for example).
THAT could be something PC related, and not have anything to do with DSL.

PS Nystrom

Second Unit
A friend of mine pointed me to this page: http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer.asp It tests your download speed and I score in the 750Kbps, which is what I expect. So maybe I am just seeing things. The real test would be for me to connect to a different phone jack and see if I get similar results.

The 'page not loading' situation... let me clarify. My browser tells me 'Server Not Found.' 9 times out of 10 all I have to do is reload the page and it works right away. What's up with that? Thanks everyone,

Pieter

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Try returning the modem to the orginal phone jack, and simply use a longer cat 5 cable to your new PC location. That's what I did before I got an Airport (802.11g) wireless network...

Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.