Question about driving front speakers...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gary Thomas, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Jan 17, 1999
    I currently drive 7 speakers with a Denon 3802 receiver & a passive sub with one channel of a Samson 1000 amp. Any thoughts about driving my front speakers with the second channel of the samson amp? My gear is listed on my Home Theater link below.

2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

May 23, 1999
    How would you get stereo? If you are running a passive sub on the Samson 1000 that only leaves one channel. Unless you you bridge the amp and hook up the passive woofer to both channels and share it with the fronts. In any event I wouldn't for a couple of reasons, first even if you change the speaker settings to large for the the fronts, I don't think with the lack of a crossover or a high pass filter, it will not only send the bass to the passive woofer, it will still send it to your towers (nice set up by the way). Second, I'm not sure the Samson is the type of amp that will produce crisp and clear sound. Granted you would save the receiver for the surrounds but I'm pretty sure they would sound better from the receiver than the Samson. Maybe an investment into some monoblocks, might be the way hear and save the Samson for the sub. Bass can be very taxing even on powerful amp and sharing it or bridging can run the amp hot and shut it off.
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Roger that. We’ve had other Forum members who have tried using the Samson for their mains, only to come back later and report that it sounded “gritty.”

Wayne A. Pflughaupt