Question About Driving 5 of 6 Amps

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chuck C, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Some of you know I'm anxious to learn the scoop on the new Marantz receivers, and it occured to me that hey, wouldn't running 5 amps and leaving the 6th rear center unused increase wattage? Outlaw owners, let's hear it too.
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

^

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chuck- You're right, most of the time. As long as all the channels are hooked up to one common transformer, which is almost always the case in receivers. Some amps have separate transformers for the separate channels, which can limit power handling in any one of the channels, but theoretically, you can get better "isolation" (less cross-talk, leakage) between channels. Greater channel separation, in other words.
    ------------------

4. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

In many cases amplifiers, especially in receivers, are more limited by the power supply rather than the power rating per amplifier. Therefore if you are only using 5 of 6 channels, you'll get more range, but not necessarily more wattage. In those rare instances where all channels are being driven hard at the same time, you'll be able to get more out of the 5 than you would out of all 6, but you still aren't going to exceed the amplifiers power rating.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'm not using the 6th channel on my 6200, but I didn't really notice any difference when I did.
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
    to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)