Question about dolby digital sound

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Cook, Jan 6, 2002.

1. Michael Cook

Michael Cook Stunt Coordinator

You aren't supposed to use dolby digital on your recevier unless you are watching something that says "dolby digital" on it? My receiver has several dolby settings and then several dsp settings.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Not sure I understand 100% what you mean howeevr, your receiver should be able to detect the signal it is being fed and accomodate accordingly.

3. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

Most receivers have movie DSP modes that can be used on top of any surround format (i.e. ProLogic, DD, DTS). But if you prefer "unprocessed" sound, just switch your receiver to its normal surround setting.

4. Michael Cook

When I am watching TV and I press the dolby button on my remote, some channels don't sound right. Some sound great, but certain ones have a gurgly sound coming out of the speakers. Right now, I only have my satellite hooked to the receiver. Do you have to have a digital connection to the receiver to use dolby digital. Like a digital coaxial or optical cable??

5. Michael Cook

I guess it helps to read the manuals. [​IMG] My manual says it will automatically switch to dolby when there is a digital connection. My DVD and PS2 are the only digital connections I have using a digital coaxial (dvd) and digital optical (ps2). So when I am watching TV, I just use the dsp settings?? I was manually selecting dolby digital with the remote and it didn't sound right. We did rent a movie from Direct TV last night and it said dolby digital at the beginning, so I put the receiver in dolby mode and it sounded great. But normal TV, it sounds like crap. My satellit receiver doesn't have a digital out on the back of it.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Stereo TV (or any stereo source) does not have the information to be processed in Dolby Digital, only Pro Logic/PL-II or DSP modes. Many programs are not broadcast in stereo, making it even worse, as these will not likely give the correct info for PL/PLII decoding.

7. Michael Cook

I have my dvd hooked up with an s-video to the receiver and then a digital coaxial to the receiver. What if dolby digital isn't available on the dvd?? AM I supposed to have my L and R audio composites hooked to the receiver along with the digial coaxial??

8. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Occasinally you will get an older movie that has not been remastered on DVD (Young Frankenstein and The Hobbit come to mind) that are MONO. Sound is still transferred via the digital cable, but will only play in whatever format it was recorded in (whether PCM or DD/DTS, etc...). As stated, it is VERY rare to find DVDs like this though. At the very least, most DVDs will have some version of Dolby sound on them.

Why are you connecting the DVD video to the reciever? If you have enough inputs on your TV, you should go directly to it instead.

10. Michael Cook

I have an older DVD which doesn't have componets on the back. So my choices are to hook it straight to the tv with composites, or through the receiver with S-video. I will be getting a new dvd player sometime this year, then I will hook it up straight to the TV with componets.