What's new

Question about DIY subs, placement and freq. response (1 Viewer)

Javier_Huerta

Supporting Actor
I was thinking about something...

I managed to get my hands on a THX certified receiver. Since my room is small (2000 cubic feet), I have decided to go for the whole enchilada now (acoustical treatment, bass traps, polycilinders on the walls, the works).

I know bass is unidirectional, but experience has taught me if the sub is firing on one corner, the sub vibration usually is felt a bit more on that side of your body, so it adds a bit to the localization. I don't want this to happen in my HT.

Since I had considered bass boost from corner loading, I'll be changing my design from 2 to 4 subwoofers.

I was thinking the following alternatives:

1) Place the 4 subs underneath the center channel, firing towards the viewer (4 12" C-V subs with approximately 300 watts of power - some 120 dB's at 30 Hz).

2) Place the 4 subs underneath the seating area.

My design has a -5 dB response at 20 Hz without equalization. I don't think I'll be adding one in the near future.

Do you think I can get away with no corner loading and still get a nice low-end response?

Thanks for your opinions!

Brian Knauss

Stunt Coordinator
In that small of a room, I would think 2 subs up front would be fine. If placed apart enough, you won't find the bass as "directional" and will have more than enough bass.

I was at my friend's house yesterday, and he has about the same sized room as you are describing. When we were watching Gladiator, I was sitting extremely far up front and to the right, and I could only hear the "directionality" of his sub (back left in the room) a couple times.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks