What's new

Question about Disney DVD's (1 Viewer)

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
I realize Disney plans to re-release many of the earlier 'Limited Issue' over the next few years as their Platinum Edition I believe it is. I'm not sure if there was anywhere else to put this thread, but I just picked up 101 Dalmations and Pinocchio both Limited Issue and still sealed (it was from an Estate Sale) for a mere $2 each. Is it worth opening and holding onto these considering that they have no extras, and they'll probably be getting 2-disc treatments with a ton of extras in the upcoming 2-4 years.

Also along similar lines, I also got the IMAGE releases of Horse Feathers, The Cocoanuts and Duck Soup, still sealed as well, with the recent 5-disc release, should I just sell these ones?

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I realize Disney plans to re-release many of the earlier 'Limited Issue' over the next few years as their Platinum Edition I believe it is. I'm not sure if there was anywhere else to put this thread, but I just picked up 101 Dalmations and Pinocchio both Limited Issue and still sealed (it was from an Estate Sale) for a mere $2 each."

Sweet. Good job.

"Is it worth opening and holding onto these considering that they have no extras, and they'll probably be getting 2-disc treatments with a ton of extras in the upcoming 2-4 years."

What worth would they have to you still sealed? I suppose you could put them up on e*bay. 101 Dalmatians should be the last PE title before the cycle starts again, Pinocchio should be the 1st title after 101 Dalmatians, if history is any guide

101 Dalmatians is listing on e*bay right now for about $22-$28 dollars depending on the auction. I'd just go ahead and open it and enjoy it the next few years.

Pinocchio was available as a Gold Collection title also, so it is listing for less - $15 to $24. One guy is selling a LE Pinocchio with original Buena Vista stickers and what not for $34, but it doesn't look like he is getting any bids.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit

Well what I meant is given that they are OOP, and that new releases will be coming out soon, will they be worth just holding onto in their current state as a collector's item, or am I reading too much into the fact that it's a disc with a movie on it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the LE's becoming collector's items. The only way I can see either Pinocchio: LE or 101 Dalmatians: LE becoing worth substantial amounts of money is some sort of censorship of either film on DVD or HD DVD in the future.

For example, the LE of Lady and the Tramp is of special note to serious Disney fans, because the LE DVD is the only time the title has come to home video in a complete form. The original 80's release was (believe it or not) a pan-and-scan treatment of the CinemaScope version (even though Walt Disney had prepared a special 1:1.33 version in case CinemaScope or widescreen formats went out of fashion).

Then, in 1998, the film was released to home video again. This time, even though the correct film versions were used for the wide-screen and "full-frame" tapes and Laserdiscs, the film suffered from audio errors. Due to some sort of mixing or mastering error, lines of dialogue, sound effects, and even choral song lyrics were left out of the film entirely. Disney did not do a recall, and so the version of Lady and the Tramp that most people have is faulty in one way or another.

The Lady and the Tramp Limited Edition is the *first* time the title has been presented in a complete form. It does not have the 1.33 version Walt made, but it does have the CinemaScope version, and it is not missing any lines of dialogue or song lyrics. For that reason, the LE of Lady and the Tramp is of special note, and it has been pirated mercilessly. Authentic, red-stamped R1 Lady and the Tramp LE's are going for $70 on e*bay.

That's how something becomes a collector's item. For the LE's of Pinocchio or 101 Dalmatians to become valuable, Disney would have to somehow muck up the future DVD releases, making these earlier versions valuable.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
As far as I'm aware, there is no reason to keep the Image Marx Brox. discs.

The recent 5-disc set from Universal contains all the fimls complete and uncut, and with slight improvements in audio & video quality.

Aaron_Brez

Supporting Actor

Hmmm.... is this accurate? I thought that the Siamese cats once sang "We are former residents of Siam", but I know for a fact this is not present on the LE DVD.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
It is not present on the DVD because it was never in the movie. You're referring to the demo lyrics of the "Siamese Cat Song" written by Peggy Lee and Sonny Burke. This version is what you'll find when you download sheet music for the song, but it is not, and never has been, the version heard in the film.

DEMO VERSION
Written by: Peggy Lee and Sonny Burke

We are Siamese, if you please.
We are Siamese if you don't please!
We are former residents of Siam
There are no finer cats than we am

We are Siamese with very dainty claws
Please observing paws containing dainty claws
Now we lookin' over our new domicile
If we like we stay for maybe quite a while

Do you seeing that thing swimming round and round?
Maybe we could reaching in and make it drown.
If we sneaking up upon it carefully,
There will be a head for you, a tail for me!

Do you hear what I hear? A baby cry!
Where we finding baby, there are milk nearby!
If we look in baby buggy there could be
Plenty milk for you and also some for me.

ORIGINAL FILM LYRICS

We are Siamese if you please
We are Siamese if you don't please
Now we looking over our new domecile
If we like we stay for maybe quite a while

Do you see that thing swimming round and round? (Yesss!)
Maybe we could reaching in and make it drown.
If we sneaking up upon it carefully
There will be a head for you, a tail for me

Do you hear what I hear? A baby cry.
Where we finding baby there are milk nearby
If we look in baby buggy there will be
Plenty milk for you and also some for me.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
I *love* lady and the tramp.

What I'd give for a proper new 16x9 HD transfer and dvd downconversion....

or HD-res bluray/HD-DVD for that matter... :D

-dave

p.s. it would make a great 2-disc SE...with the WS version on one disc and the originally-animated 4x3 on the other...

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
its going to be part of the Platinum Series and I believe should be out in 2006 along with The Jungle Book

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
On the laserdisc, there is a snippet from "A Story of Dogs", the Disneyland TV show that aired in 1955 promoting Lady and the Tramp. In this snippet, Peggy Lee is shown harmonizing with herself by recording her tracks for the "Siamese Cat Song" on a tape recorder (she obviously didn't record her vocals on a home tape recorder, this sequence is for entertainment purposes, demonstrating how Peggy is harmonizing with herself in the number as seen on film). She may or may not be singing the original demo version of the song, I don't remember.

Anyway, look for the "Story of Dogs" episode to feature prominently on the Platinum Edition DVD.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
p.s. it would make a great 2-disc SE...with the WS version on one disc and the originally-animated 4x3 on the other...

True, that. I also admire Lady and the Tramp. Before the laserdisc re-release in 1998, The Los Angeles Museuk of Contemporary Art hosted a tribute to CinemaScope features, and at MOCA's request, Disney provided a beautiful print for Lady and the Tramp. It was my first time seeing the film in its OAR, and the audience loved it. Believe it or not, Disney pan-and-scanned the CinemaScope version of Lady and the Tramp for their home video release in 1986, apparently oblivious to the fact that Walt Disney had shot Lady and the Tramp twice, once in CinemaScope and then again in 1:1.33 in case Widescreen cinema turned out to be a fad. Special backgrounds and compositions were made for the 4x3 version, sort of like what Pixar did when they created a pan-and-scan version of A Bug's Life. Instead of using the 4x3 version for the home video release in 1986, the Disney company pan-and-scanned a CinemaScope print. True story.

I hope Disney will do as you suggest, David, and put both versions on the PE. But on the other hand, there is the possibility Disney will put both versions on one disc like Sleeping Beauty and the LE/GC version of Mulan.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
Here's to hoping they do it right.

Btw I decided to open the 101 Dalmations, and I'm trying to sell off those Marx Bros' IMAGE discs and just gonna get the new box set. Also opened up sealed Notorious and original release of The 400 Blows both criterions, wasn't an easy thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks