What's new

Question about Dish TV access cards (1 Viewer)

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all, and a Happy New Year to you. This is going to sound more like a story then a question, but here goes. I just bought a "condo", my first home purchase, yea for me. Anyway, one of the first things I want to do is get a Dish Network system. I have been without cable for about 2 years after I had some problems with the local cable company.

Anyway, I have a one bedroom "condo", as I am single, but I would like to get a 2 receiver set-up. One for the living room, and one for the bedroom. But I don't want to pay to activate 2 access cards. Is it possible to buy a two receiver set up and only activate one card and swap it out when I go from one room to another. Or can I buy a one receiver set up with a duel LNB, activate it, then buy a separate receiver, hook it up, and swap the cards out that way?

My intent is not to try and screw Dish Network out of money and I know it is only about $6 to activate a second card, but I would hate to pay that extra money when it is just me, and I will not be watching both TV's at the same time. I know that another alternative is to buy one of those room to room set ups, where you point the remote at a box that delivers the signal to the receiver in the other room, but again, I would just like to have a receiver in both rooms.

Thank you in advance, for any comments of concerns you might have with my issue. I talked to a couple of people, and they seem to think I can probably swap out cards, but I knew that there would be someone more informative than I am about the subject here at the HTF. Thanks again, and Happy New Year!

Art

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
I'm pretty sure the cards are mated to the specific receiver it's in.

A better work-around would be to run the second output of one receiver to your second TV. You can control that receiver from another room with an RF remote.

Vin

Supporting Actor
I know that another alternative is to buy one of those room to room set ups, where you point the remote at a box that delivers the signal to the receiver in the other room, but again, I would just like to have a receiver in both rooms.
Art, if you don't need independent programming on the 2nd TV, the remote extender is really the best way to go, IMO. (As Ken pointed out, the card is mated to the receiver). I use one for my kitchen TV (connected to the receiver in the living room) and it works great. For a total of $50, I highly recommend it.
satellite splitter
remote extender
Vin

Art Martinez

Stunt Coordinator
Vin and Ken,

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it. I think that I will get the remote extender. I want to get my dish hooked up next week so I was wanting to get as much info as I could right away.

Thanks again, and Happy New Year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks