What's new

Question About Dish/ExpressVU Model 6000HD Reciever (1 Viewer)

Peter_A

Second Unit
I'm about to take the plunge and purchase an ExpressVU 6000HD satellite receiver. It's the same model as the Dish network 6000. My question is if I can use the component outputs to watch normal programming and not just HD? So say I'm watching football in HD, and I decide to switch the channel to a SD channel. Will I have to switch over to the S-Video output(and therefore another input on my TV as well) to view the standard definition channels?
------------------
Peter
"My a** may be dumb, but I ain't no dumb a**" - Ordell Robbie

Geoff_RT

Auditioning
SD programming can be viewed through the component outputs, however it is upconverted to 1080i. This may sound like a good thing, but most folks find it not to be - the picture is way, way too soft. I've yet to read about anyone really preferring it. I run all my SD stuff through an iScan Pro which does a much better job of it.
I get around the switching issue by programming my Pronto to do the input change for me - pretty much any macro remote should be able to do the same.
------------------
Geoff
Home Theater pics & more at:
Link Removed
[email protected]

Peter_A

Second Unit
I have a Pronto, but I don't think the solution you suggest would work for me as my TV, a Toshiba TW40X81 does not accept discrete codes.
frown.gif
I'll see what I think about the picture pnce I get it all hooked up.
One other question, does the optical out on the receiver output only programming that has a DD track. Or will it also output normal soundtracks, like say for instance, an episode of the Simpsons? Or will the sound only come out of the analogue outputs?
------------------
Peter

Peter_A

Second Unit
Oh and anyone have the measurments of the 6000?
------------------
Peter

Geoff_RT

Auditioning
Try remotecentral.com I believe several folks have posted ways they got around the lack of discrete codes with Toshiba's.
The digital out will do everything, DD, PCM. I don't even have analog cables hooked up to mine.
------------------
Geoff
Home Theater pics & more at:
Link Removed
[email protected]

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
As indicated above the SD signal through S-Video is sharper than the upconverted 1080i through the component connection. And discrete code operation for the TV is the least of your worries. The SD/HD command on the Dish 6000 is only a toggle - it does not know the current state so you can't just set up a macro and always expect it to work.
------------------
--Jay
My Home Theatre Pictures & Pronto CCF...
"Holy crap! The vultures are eating my head!

Peter_A

Second Unit
Do you think that the softness of the HD output can be addressed by a firmware upgrade?
------------------
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks