Question About Dish/ExpressVU Model 6000HD Reciever

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter_A, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I'm about to take the plunge and purchase an ExpressVU 6000HD satellite receiver. It's the same model as the Dish network 6000. My question is if I can use the component outputs to watch normal programming and not just HD? So say I'm watching football in HD, and I decide to switch the channel to a SD channel. Will I have to switch over to the S-Video output(and therefore another input on my TV as well) to view the standard definition channels?
    ------------------
    Peter
    "My a** may be dumb, but I ain't no dumb a**" - Ordell Robbie

2. Geoff_RT

Geoff_RT Auditioning

SD programming can be viewed through the component outputs, however it is upconverted to 1080i. This may sound like a good thing, but most folks find it not to be - the picture is way, way too soft. I've yet to read about anyone really preferring it. I run all my SD stuff through an iScan Pro which does a much better job of it.
    I get around the switching issue by programming my Pronto to do the input change for me - pretty much any macro remote should be able to do the same.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Home Theater pics & more at:
    http://www.maximumgamer.com
    [email protected]

3. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

I have a Pronto, but I don't think the solution you suggest would work for me as my TV, a Toshiba TW40X81 does not accept discrete codes. [​IMG] I'll see what I think about the picture pnce I get it all hooked up.
    One other question, does the optical out on the receiver output only programming that has a DD track. Or will it also output normal soundtracks, like say for instance, an episode of the Simpsons? Or will the sound only come out of the analogue outputs?
    ------------------
    Peter

4. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Oh and anyone have the measurments of the 6000?
    ------------------
    Peter

5. Geoff_RT

Geoff_RT Auditioning

Try remotecentral.com, I believe several folks have posted ways they got around the lack of discrete codes with Toshiba's.
    The digital out will do everything, DD, PCM. I don't even have analog cables hooked up to mine.
    ------------------
    Geoff
    Home Theater pics & more at:
    http://www.maximumgamer.com
    [email protected]

6. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

As indicated above the SD signal through S-Video is sharper than the upconverted 1080i through the component connection. And discrete code operation for the TV is the least of your worries. The SD/HD command on the Dish 6000 is only a toggle - it does not know the current state so you can't just set up a macro and always expect it to work.
    ------------------
    --Jay
    My Home Theatre Pictures & Pronto CCF...
    "Holy crap! The vultures are eating my head!

7. Peter_A

Peter_A Second Unit

Do you think that the softness of the HD output can be addressed by a firmware upgrade?
    ------------------
    Peter