Question about discrete codes for MX-500?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -
    i recently got my mx-500 and i think it's GREAT! it replaced 7 remotes without a hitch!
    i'd like to program one of the macro buttons to specifically either power on or off my components. i need the codes for:
    1. onkyo receiver
    2. sony tv
    3. motorola cable box
    4. panasonic vcr
    i checked at remotecentral.com and couldn't come up with anything.
    once i get the codes, i'm not even 100% sure how to implement them. if anyone has any advice on that, it would also be greatly appreciated.
    tia

2. PhilS

PhilS Stunt Coordinator

Ted, I recently purchased two of the MX-500 remotes. What an awesome device. I am using them to replace a total of 18 remotes.

Anyway, did you find on remotecentral.com the link to the web page that has a lot of the discrete codes? I think you can find it be searching through the threads on the MX-500 forum on remotecentral.com. My understanding is that the MX-500 cannot accept discrete codes directly, and that you have to buy a certain Radio Shack remote to enter the discrete code into, and then learn the code from the RS remote to the MX-500. I avoided all this by using one macro to turn on my system and one macro to turn it off. That way, I could program the discrete on/off functions from certain components into the macro. Will that work for you?

P.S. I'm not really an expert at programming these things, but I got mine to do what I wanted.

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

First of all, Phil is correct; you will not be able to directly enter the discrete codes into your MX-500. The best solution ( short of borrowing a friend's Pronto [​IMG] ) is to get a remote that features a 'magic' button.
    Radio Shack has discontinued the 15-1994 remote, but if you can locate one at a local dealer, grab it. Failing that, you can also use a One For All Cinema 7 remote.
    Discrete codes and how to use them with the 15-1994 and the Cinema 7 are discussed at www.hifi-remote.com Everything you need to know about those remotes and how to use discrete codes is explained there. Finally, make sure that your equipment codes are supported before you purchase one of these remotes.
    Good luck!
    - Walter.

4. Andrew V

Andrew V Stunt Coordinator

Phil is right, there is no direct way of entering these codes in the MX-500. The only way would be to find a user with a Pronto to teach the codes in for you. HTM has fixed this problem by releasing a computer Editor for their new model, the MX-700.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

thanks all
    i programmed the M1 button as the power-on macro, but (if for some reason) one of the components was already on, then it turned it off instead.
    it looks like i'll have to find another remote to utilize the discrete functionality...which i doubt i'm willing to do. i guess it's not that big of a deal to me. i'm still totally happy with this remote and can whole-heartedly recommend it.
    btw - i think the manufacturer just released a new model with a different look and a re-designed bezel. figures...
    [​IMG]

6. Han

Han Second Unit

I use a RS 1994 to teach my MX-500 discrete codes. Radio Shack should have a new replacement for the old 1994 remote.
    Ted, if you go the Radio Shack / Hifi-remote.com route, you should be able to get discrete codes for your VCR, TV, and receiver (if they are recent models). Your cable box, I'm not sure about. Most cable and satellite boxes seem to be TOADs. BTW, why the heck are you using M1 to be the power on macro? Wouldn't "On" be a more appropriate button?[​IMG]

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor