question about digital comb filters

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Chris_harpua, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

I am currently trying to decide between two televisions to purchase. Both are 27" Toshibas, one being the 27a43 ($279) and the other the 27a33 ($249). the 27a43 says it has a 3 line digital comb filter, the a33 says it has a digital comb filter but does not specify any details other than the fact that its digital.

my question is, will there be a noticable difference in picture quality. i plan on using the component inputs for my dvd player. the sound doesnt matter to me, ill be using my Onkyo Ht-s760 for my audio and probably wont even have the television speakers on at all. what im mainly concerned about is picture quality and durability of the set. i dont have the money for a flat screen or hd television and am pretty set on Toshiba because Ive heard theyre the best in non hd televisions. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Guess what? If you feed that television SVideo or Component, it does not use the internal comb-filter.

The Comb-Filter converts Composite to SVideo.

So if you plan to mainly use SVideo or component - buy the less-expensive television as you likely wont notice ANY video difference between the two.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

here's a good link from allan jayne (htf member) on comb filters. it should definitely give ya some reading material.

http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidcomb.htm

i've always been under the impression that a digital comb filter is the best to have ... but i'm not 100% sure.

are you buying these from best buy? i think the 43 is going to replace the 33 (i work there) but again not positive.

also, good choice on the toshiba. imo, they're one of the better tv's.

4. Chris_harpua

Chris_harpua Agent

yeah, am planning on buying it at Best Buy. I went down and took a quick peak at the sets and noticed that the Toshibas had sharper picture than the surrounding Philips and other brands. I was looking at the 32a33 but wont have room for it in my apartment, plus my fiancee thinks it will look too big on a 13' wall. Can't win em all I suppose so I settled for a 27". A guy at work keeps suggesting Sanyo but Ive heard theyre on the lower end of the spectrum when it comes to quality and I want something sweet since I can't afford something expensive.