What's new

Question About Denon 2200 DVD Playback (1 Viewer)

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
what exactly is coming out of the players 6 analog outputs when i play a regular DVD (not DVD-a, just a plain ol' DVD)? i know that you must use the analog connections for sacd/dvd-a and a digi connection for dd/dts, but i noticed that something does come through the analog outputs when playing a regular dvd. i was wondering if it's a properly decoded dd/dts signal, and if so, why use the receiver to decode and bass manage regular dvds, if you can just do it at the player as with a sacd/dvd-a, allowing you to use pure direct mode?

Ray_C

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it is the decoded DD or DTS soundtrack coming out of the 5.1 analog outs, so you are using the player's digital-to-analog converters, rather than the receiver's. Once you have the speaker settings and bass management set up properly on the 2200, you can use your ears to judge whether you prefer the player's DAC's and going direct analog through the receiver, or using the receiver's DAC's and processing when feeding it a DD or DTS bitstream. When I had a Denon 2803, I prefered the digital coax, but didn't notice much difference between the two. Now that I have an NAD T163 Pre/pro, I prefer using the Denon 2200's DAC's and the excellent analog-direct stages of the NAD. The only thing is by going with the analog outs, you loose the rear surrounds on DD EX and STS ES encoded material, as there are only 5.1 analog outs from the 2200, rather than 7.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks