Question about Dell computers

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Aaron Cooke, Aug 22, 2003.

1. Aaron Cooke

Aaron Cooke Second Unit

I have been looking at the Dell Dimension computers and was wondering if anyone could tell me what the differences would be between a Dimension 8300 and a Dimension XPS, assuming i chose all of the same options for configuration (processor speed, memory, hard drive space, drives, video card).

The only things i can tell are that the 8300 doesn't appear to have a firewire port which does suck since i have a digital video camera that supports it, and the XPS has a much bigger power supply. I'm sure the XPS has some more space for add on's as well, but assuming they start with the same equip. and i wasn't going to upgrade in the future, does the XPS have any other advantages over the 8300?

2. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

Aaron, I don't believe that any of the Dells come with Firewire as a standard option. You can go through the customizing processes and add one - they aren't that expensive.

3. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

The main difference between the XPS and the 8300 (from a quick scan I just did):

Since the XPS is meant for Hardcore use, you can't skimp on some of the items - i.e. You can't get it with less than 512 MB of memory (the 8300 starts at 256 MB)

You can't get anything less than an 80GB Hard Drive on the XPS (the 8300 starts at 40GB)

Also, the 8300 has a limit to its max's. The 8300 will only go up to a 240G Raid whereas the XPS goes up to 500G.

The XPS also boasts "specialized thermals to keep the system cool and quiet", which I'm not sure if it's the same with the 8300...basically, the XPS will offer you the ability to get the biggest and best whereas the 8300 has a ceiling.

Not that the 8300's ceiling is anything to snub your nose at, but if you don't want limits, then it looks like you want the XPS.

Hopefully someone else can point out more examples as I just did a quick investigation and I don't know what they mean by "Built with XPS Technology" - it almost sounds like a marketing gimic, but who knows.

4. gregstaten

gregstaten Supporting Actor

I have an XPS system and no question, this thing is very quiet. And there is expansion room galore inside the case. Indeed, the XPS uses the same case design that Dell uses in their workstations.

That said, the 8300 is a very nice box, just not as easy to work inside and there's less room for expansion.

-greg

5. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

The XPS and the 8300 have similar if not identical motherboards, based on the i875 chipset. They have 1 AGP 8x slot, 4 32bit/33Mhz PCI slots, 2 S-ATA connectors (non-RAID), 2 Ultra/ATA100 slots, and 4 memory slots.

[​IMG]

The 8300 comes with the standard clamshell case and 250w ps (though a very powerful 250w). The XPS comes with the larger, Precision 650 type clamshell case with a 460w PS (nonstandard shape).

The XPS does come with firewire.