What's new

Question about delay on subs (1 Viewer)

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
When I put the tempest through my modeling program it gave a real nasty delay bigger then 40ms in a low tuned box, and when i raised the tunage (is that a word) to 20 and above, the delay gose down, so what do you guys do, would you rather get that few extra HZ on you -3db or go for the higher tuned box. Or is there some trick that solves this nasty delay.

I my self wouldn't mind if i didn't hit those really low notes.

Chris Carswell

Supporting Actor
Is this for music or HT? If for HT I wouldn't worry about as much as if it were for Music.
If you are concerned even still, where is most of the delay? If the group delay is high in the low, low freq. range (Say ~15Hz but no higher than ~30Hz) I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it is high in the low to mid (more audible) freq. range than yes you should tune it differently.
Usually the lower you tune the more gradual the rise is to a high peak that occurs lower in the frequency range. The higher you tune the sooner the rise will be but to a lower peak.

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
The benefit of a lower tuning is keeping the group delay low at the higher freqs (for a sub). Higher group delay below ~20 Hz isn't bad. Compare a low tuned vented enclosure to a sealed box and you'll see comparable GD until the lower freqs.

Pete

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
I doubt GD, in and of itself, would sound that bad. As in every system, the sum of all the components is what makes or breaks it. Unless the sub is badly designed, the placement in the room has more to do with ringing and sloppy bass, IMO.

Pete

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks