What's new

Question about CRT Projectors (1 Viewer)

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
I'm now the happy owner of a Sony CRT (VPH-1000)! I've set it up in my living room (temporary, until I finish working on my basement and turning into a HT area), and I'm loving it!

It's an older unit (manufactured in 1991 I believe), and is fully analog. There are no digital controls on it, so all tweaking & configuring had to be done manually. When I first took it home the picture was terrible, and I needed to open the unit up and play with the controls until properly tweaked (it took me a couple of days, but dear lord the picture looks MARVELOUS right now!). I popped in Shrek, and was blown away by the quality of the image. Even projected on my yellow walls (I've painted recently, so my white walls are gone) the image was rich & vivid, and dare I say it, looked better than I've seen it on my parents' LCD projector. :)

My question is this - I've done some searching online & I've heard mentioned on Line Doublers. Now, I have a progressive scan DVD player, and I'm connected to the CRT via S-Video cable. Would a Line Doubler be of any use to me? What exactly does it do? Would it be useless with my progressive scan player, or would it improve the image?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Moe.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I quote from Curt Palme's CRT FAQ since I'm not familiar with the sonys that much:

"Between 1986 and 1996 Sony came out with a number of their 10XX series, including the VPH-1020, 2020, 1030, 1031, 1040, 1041, 1042, 1044, 1000, and 1001. With the exception of the 1030 and 1031, these were all video grade sets, had analog convergence and had slight variations between the models. Some had S-video inputs, some had slightly brighter tubes, etc. etc. All very reliable sets, small footprint, and most had 2 or 3 small cooling fans in them. 600 to 750 lumens. In general, the higher the model number, the newer it was, but that changed with the introduction of the 1000 and 1001 in about 1995. I have no idea why Sony changed their numbering sequence...All of the above sets used Sony 7” ES focus tubes.
"

So it sounds like it's video-grade only, so you are limited to 480i. You can't get progressive scan on this unit if that's the case, and you would need to be connected via something more than s-video, mostly RGB on CRT FP units, if it were a data-grade model that could handle higher resolutions.

Consult the CRT forum at avs, and Curt's excellent CRT FAQ:

http://www.curtpalme.com/6901.html

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Chris,

Thanks for that link!

I've learned a lot about my particular projector based on Curt's CRT FAQ. Look like my VPH-1000 is one of the "newer" units, although it's got a lower refresh then the 1031. I guess using a line-doubler will make no sense with this unit... :frowning:

Regardless... it's still a great projector, considering I got it for free! :)

Moe.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Free is always good! And keep working on improving your setup, and you should be fine, you can have a fun time with video-grade units anyway. The CRT forum is excellent way to learn more advanced procedures, check out Guy Kuos "Holy Focus" guide. Enjoy!

:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks