question about crossovers

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by troy evans, Jun 10, 2006.

1. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Hello,My name is Troy and My crossover settings are driving Me up a wall.My receiver ( Onkyo 701E)has a set of crossovers to adjust based on how large in diameter My main speakers woofers are.Now,My velodyne Cht-8 has Its own set of crossovers that I pressume must be set in accordance with the ones on the receiver.However,I'm still trying to find that happy medium of low-end bliss.You know,the one that kicks you in the chest and makes it feel like you have a lump in your troat.I've crawled for bass,I've spl set all my speakers,and I drive my subwoofers (one for front and one for rear)off the preamp jacks for front left/right and rear left/right.That way I thought I'd get true rear effect low-end and vice verse.So,have I made some mistakes along the way? I'm open to any and all help and suggestions.Please,I really need to get a good nights sleep.

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

The Onkyo's crossover splits the full range signal into "low frequency" and "higher frequency" components. The low frequencies get passed to the subwoofer pre-out, and the higher frequencies get passed to the amplifiers/and possible even to the satellite pre-outs.

I don't think it's possible to connect the subwoofers in the way you describe, although perhaps you could set rears and fronts to "large," center to "small", subwoofer to "no", and connect the subwoofers using the high level inputs (binding posts and speaker wire).

As for the optimum crossover setting, maybe this will help

source

3. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Troy,

Welcome to the forum.

Your sub will clip-off above the frequency you set on it, so you need to set it as high as possible, because you will already be using the clip-off (cross-over) point of the receiver. Personally, I would use the 80Hz setting (and certainly never higher than 100Hz) for a cross-over point on the receiver (unless you're SURE that the mains cannot handle these low frequencies - but that would be uncommon).

If you set the sub equal to - or lower than - the receiver's cross-over point, you may lose some frequencies.

Connect the sub to the LFE-out (or whatever it is called).

Next thing to do is, to set your main speakers and the center speaker to "small" in your Onkyo. It will then send the lowest bass to the LFE channel too, and it's almost certain that your sub can handle them better than your main speakers can.

Also, don't forget to set the LFE-channel "on". These settings may have slightly different names (I'm not familiar with the Onkyo), but you get the drift.

Then, to get that low-end "bliss" your talking about: play with a possible sub boost on the receiver, adjust the LFE-channel's volume. Try adjusting the phase, etc.

Good luck!

Cees

4. troy evans

troy evans Screenwriter

Thank You for responding.You're right about how I have My speakers connected.I followed this advice from Polk Audio website,since,beside My 2 subwoofers all My other speakers are Polk.They say that hooking the sub to the sub out jack is the worst place to connect it because you can lose your subwoofer bass when stereo sources are played.I LOVE LOW-END.So,naturally it didn't take alot for that to convince Me to hook My subs up the way They were saying.Now, when I play a stereo source like "Smallville"the low-end is way better than what I got from standard sub out jack hook-up.On the other hand I've noticed a marked difference in quality on other sources.5.1,DTS,etc.The're not bad,but,too boomy at times.So,I guess it'll have to be a trade off between which is more important to Me.I just wish there was a way to have both.I'll try the advice You've provided Me with, here's hoping it's what I was looking for.Thanks Again,Troy

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Troy,

When you set your mains and center to "small", you shouldn't lose the bass when stereo is played. The bass frequencies of those speakers will go to the sub. Just do not switch off the sub, or "sub"-setting when playing stereo.

Your sub will no longer be there just for the LFE-channel only.

Cees