Question about connecting my Sony ES to digital cable...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Josh Wolfman, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Josh Wolfman

Josh Wolfman Stunt Coordinator

I am connecting my new digital cable box (scientific atlanta explorer 4200 non hd) to my sony da4es receiver via coax digital out BUT I am having problems. I have a dvd player connected to one coax input so I am using the cd coax input for the cable box. It is not playing any sound, though. Can anyone help? I went to the settings in the cable box and the coax connection is towards dolby digital. Thx in advance.

2. Josh Wolfman

Now I can get sound (went to HBO) BUT it is coming out early!!!!! The sound will not synch with the picture. Could this have something to do with tivo? Do you think it is a digital cable box problem? I am very confused- it did this on more than one channel.

3. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

If you think about the signal flow with the video going out to the Tivo, which is always delayed because of the recording buffer, and the audio going directly to the receiver, then it makes sense that there is a delay. If the Tivo had a digital input, there wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately, that's not the case.

You can run a second video out from the cable box directly to the TV and you'll have synced AV and Dolby Digital when it's available, but of course, you won't have the benifits of the Tivo.

DJ

4. Chun Lam

Chun Lam Agent

Josh,

You'll need to connect both the digital coax out and the regular RCA analog to your receiver. The reason is not all channels broadcast using digital sound. I have the same cable box and had to do the same thing. Not sure about the TiVO issue, as I don't have Tivo.

5. Josh Wolfman

Thx for the info!