question about component video hook-up

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by KenLeBlanc, Jul 1, 2005.

1. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Newbie question...

Hooking up a Panny SA-XR50 to a Samsung DVD player and an old Hitachi TV. TV only has RCA and S-Video inputs. I have the RCA going to the Moniter out on the receiver.

I bought component video cables thinking I could get the best quality but I'm not getting a picture on the TV. I'm guessing that I can only use S-Video or RCA and not component ??

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    More often than not, receivers will not downconvert component to S-video or lower, as well as some do not let you mix types of connections at all - if it was s-vid in, it has to be s-vid out. Either case, it looks like it will not work the way you have it connected. If you don't need to do video switching, just go s-vid direct to the TV.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

If you did find a receiver that converted incoming component video from the DVD player into S-video to go to the TV, the quality will be S-video quality, not component video quality.

The only way to realize the full quality of component video is to have component connections all the way to the TV.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. KenLeBlanc

KenLeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the info guys. Got it to work after picking up a few extra S-video cables. I did want the video switching as I think it's nice. System is all hooked ap and working good. Had a sound issue with the Digital Coax to the DVD player and then I remembered to check the audio settings of the DVD player [​IMG] Sure enough I had to make a couple of changes there and it was good to go.