question about component cables

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by timothy quib, Dec 30, 2002.

1. timothy quib

timothy quib Auditioning

Should I get better component cables? I'm using RCA brand $20 cables. Will I get a better picture on my DVD with more expensive cables?

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

A lot of this depends on how 'sensitive' your video system is.
    I often recommend the budget AR/Radio Shack brands of video cables for 'modest' systems. Your system becomes 'sensitive' when it breaks any of these:
    - Display size greater than about 40 inches
    - Long run greater than say 10 ft
    - The display is a HDTV that is up-converting the signal
    - You are pushing progressive or HD signals to the TV
    When your system becomes 'sensitive', the cable can make a visible difference. The smart money does not buy the Monster CV300 cables for $220, instead they order cables from places like www.bettercables.com who use professional-grade coax and plugs starting at $50-$90.
    I do believe in good quality cables for the video portion of your system. But (big BUT) this only applies to the cable from a high-quality source like the DVD player or a HDTV decoder box. For the CATV box, or VCR, stick with budget cables like AR/Radio Shack.
    In truth: A cable can in no way, shape or form improve your signal! A better cable can only damage the signal less than a cheap cable.
    Hope this helps.

3. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Thanks for the insight Bob. I guess I'll have to go and replace my RCA $20 cables to since I have a 47" Panny and progressive scan JVC 723 DVD. I alson have a cable HDTV box that could make use of better cables too. I have been reluctant to buy any Monster series because of what I hear about them, plus I have a hard time with the prices...$200 is alot for just one set of comp. cables...could be spent on dvd's! [​IMG] I also know that there could be something better than the RCA brand. Should I go with Better Cables or is there something esle not mail order that I should for in a mass market store that are great quality....I see AR has a 'Signature' brand...

4. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Acoustic Research has the Pro brand sold at Sears, Best Buy. They also have a Master series set of cables that a lot of people like for HDTV's. (Yes, it's rated for HD signals).
    But be sure to price-check against www.bettercables.com. They sell a rather exotic silver-coated coax for competitive prices to even the AR brand.
    (If you look at the "Secrets to Home Theater and Hi Fi" web site where they tested progressive scan DVD players, you will discover that Brad of BetterCables was the guy who made the cable that they used for all their testing. His products are well respected by people with fairly high end systems.)