question about comcast hd -- what resolution?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ted Lee, Jul 25, 2005.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

i was over at a friends house helping him install his ht gear. he has the sony 42" lcd (655 series). when we hooked up his comcast hd box (via component), the tv's display showed a resolution of 480p. that kinda tripped me out ... i figure the tv should have said either 720p or 1080i?

i know the tv's working correctly as i hooked up his lg upconverting dvd player and the tv display showed 720p/1080i (depending on how i set the lg).

so i guess my question is, what is comcast hd set to output at (480p)? i will also admit that i was not very impressed with the comcast hd feed. discover hd looked pretty bad ... especially compared to my d* feed which looks great. it was so bad i told him to contact comcast just to make sure there were no issues.

thanks,

ted

2. Allen Hirsch

Allen Hirsch Supporting Actor

You have to set the Comcast box/tuner to output 1080i. That can either be done manually on the tuner, or Comcast MAY be able to "ping" the box and set it from their end.

You're not getting HD if it's reading 480p - which explains the crummy picture.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

yeah, i checked all the menu settings on the box and couldn't find where i was able to adjust the output. i'm pretty sure he'll have comcast dial that part in for him...

4. John S

John S Producer

Most times, you set HD for 1080 or 720p or native, and then tell it to output SD at 480p....

Sure you had a real HD feed there?

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

he was definitely getting hd. we compared fox on the regular channel, then flipped to fox on hd. the pic was windowboxed and clearly better then local.

but, tbh, the local feed looked *horrible* (but i didn't tell him that). the hd feed looked better, but still not very good.

i just figure the tv isn't lying to me when it's telling me it's detecting a 480p signal ... but i don't know anything about how comcast hd (or their boxes) work.

6. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

If he has the Motorola box, he can push "Menu" on the front of the box when the box is turned off to get into the setup menu. There it will have an HD setting (1080i/720p/native) and a "4:3 override" setting for the regular stations. I have mine set to 1080i for HD and 480p for override, so I can stretch the 4:3 stations to my liking.

7. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Ted,

I live in Sac also and my comcast HD looks great on a PJ via component. Just gotta make that menu seting Jeff suggested to fire up 720p or 1080i (they both look good)

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

ahh...thx guys! i'll let him know...