Question about coaxial and digital outputs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_Bradford, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Kevin_Bradford

Kevin_Bradford Auditioning

I'm currently looking at the Yamaha 5540 Receiver. The 5540 has one coaxial digital input and one optical input. My DVD player only has a coaxial output. The thing is, on the back of the Yamaha, next to the coaxial it says CD, and next to the digital it says DVD. My DVD is coaxial, so I'll have to plug it into the one labeled CD. Does this mean I will have to put my Receiver into CD mode to hear movies through my receiver?
    Simple question, but thanks!
    Kevin
    ps If anyone knows of a large difference between the Yamaha 5540 and 5550 other than component video switching, please let me know. [​IMG]

2. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

Yamahas allow you to re-label the inputs you use. So it'll be CD until you go into the menu and change it. Having it set to CD won't effect the sound in any way though.

As for differences between those receivers, the 5550 also has s-video switching, 2 more optical inputs, and 1 optical output.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    FYI: The coaxial and optical connections are BOTH digital, just different connectors.